Faculty of Science and Technology
About the faculty:
At the Faculty of Science and Technology (REALTEK) we focus on science, technology and innovation for sustainable development. We educate civil engineers and science teachers and offer courses in practical-pedagogical education (PPU), mathematics, information science and physics.
We carry out research on solutions that will help bring about the green transition in industry and public administration.
It's our 150 employees, 70 research fellows and postdoctoral fellows, and 1,400 students that bring our subjects forward.
The Faculty of Science and Technology is the faculty with the most students at NMBU. This reflects the importance of technology and science in our society. We educate civil engineers and science teachers, and offer practical pedagogical education and continuing education for teachers. If you want to use modern technology with an emphasis on the environment to solve major societal challenges, this is the place for you.
We have up-to-date facilities and teaching and research laboratories, and facilitate for students who wish to start their own innovation projects with support from staff at the faculty. You can for example join Eik Lab, NMBU's center for student innovation.
We offer the following study programmes in English:
Our researchers develop technological solutions to meet national and global challenges related to the environment and natural resources.
Research is carried out in the following areas:
- Engineering for an eco-friendly future
- Safe, pure, and efficient sources of energy
- Value adding in biological resources
- Environmental monitoring and the modelling of technological and biological systems
- Climate change: causes, consequences, and adjustments
- Research related to teaching sustainable development
We coordinate and participate in a range of projects financed by the EU, the Norwegian Research Council and other external sources.
REALTEK coordinates five projects financed by the European Union:
- RoBUTCHER (EU H2020, 2019-2023)
- PHOTONFOOD (EU H2020, 2021-2025)
- PANDASIA (EU HORIZON, 2023-2027)
- UNPRECEDENTED (EU HORIZON MSCA, 2023-2026)
- AlgalBB (EU HORIZON MSCA, 2023-2025)
REALTEK participates in four research centres financed by the Research Council of Norway:
- SFI DigiFoods – Centre for Research-Based Innovation in Digital Food Quality (Coordinator: Nofima)
- SFI IB - Industrial Biotechnology (Coordinator: SINTEF)
- FME SuSolTech – Research Centre for Sustainable Solar Cell Technology (Coordinator: IFE)
- FME Bio4Fuels – Centre for Environment-friendly Energy Research (Coordinator: NMBU)
Research groups at REALTEK
- Biospectroscopy and Data Modeling (BioSpec)
- Centre for Healthcare Data Science (CEHEADS)
- Daylight in the Built Environment
- Digital Electrical Power Systems
- Material Theory and Informatics (MatInf)
- Molten Salt Technology
- Multivariate Data Analysis and Machine Learning
- Process Technology and Data Science in Water Treatment
- Reaction Engineering and Catalysis (REC)
- Resource Recovery
- Solar Energy
- Sustainable Schools
- Water and Health
PhD studies at REALTEK
The Faculty of Science and Technology offers PhD studies within natural sciences, technology and educational sciences. There are normally around 65-70 active PhD students at the faculty, and 10-15 PhD candidates defend their doctoral theses at REALTEK each year.
The faculty is led by Dean Anne Cathrine Gjærde. We are approximately 150 employees and 70 research fellows and postdoctoral fellows distributed among the administration and seven departments.
Department Head of department Department of Building and Environmental Technology Leif Daniel Houck Department of Data Science Hans Ekkehard Plesser Department of Educational Science Hans Erik Lefdal Department of Geomatics Jon Glenn Gjævestad Department of Mathematics Bjørn Fredrik Nielsen Department of Mechanical engineering and technology management Odd-Ivar Lekang Department of Physics Espen Olsen
News from the faculty
Visiting address for the faculty: Drøbakveien 31, 1433 Ås
Visiting address for the department of Educational Science: Kirkeveien 1, 1433 Ås
Postal address for the faculty: Post box number 1430 Ås
Some wings have delivery addresses in Kajaveien 3-11, 1433 Ås.