Master of science (2 year) Full time
The aquaculture industry is an innovation driven industry with a lot of possibilities; both within business and research.
The study starts with introduction courses in physiology, health care and water quality, before the fundamentals of genetics and breeding, fish nutrition and also practical and theoretical aspects of fish production and technology is covered.
The aim of the study is to give the students broad practical and theoretical knowledge in different fields, before they complete their master thesis within a focus area, which can be chosen from fish breeding, fish nutrition, production technology or another area of interest, e.g. water or product quality.
The master thesis project is normally taken over one year and offers great flexibility in terms of project type and location.
Manager in the fish farming industry, quality control, governmental or extension positions, developing new aquaculture species, managing breeding programs, sales or administration.
The Master degree is also a stepping stone to an academic career.
The program gives you broad and interdisciplinary strength and specialisation in subjects of your choice.
We offer courses in fish breeding, fish nutrition and planning and design of aquacultural plants, and you will get insight and knowledge about how those components/factors affect the effectiveness of production and influence the economic yield.
Applicants must hold a Bachelor degree in Aquaculture or equivalent education that includes basic knowledge in statistic/mathematics, chemistry/physics and 60 credits in biology.
Applicants with an engineering and other relevant background are evaluated individually.
The following compulsory requirements must be in place for the application to be considered:
- A motivation letter specifically aimed at the program
- A weighted, average grade of minimum Norwegian C (from the Bachelor's degree) is required at NMBU to be qualified for applying to Master's degree
- English language ability in accordance with the NMBU regulations
Applicants who have already completed a master degree will not be prioritized.
- Master’s degree is awarded on 120 credits (2 years fulltime study)
- 15 credits compulsory courses at 300-level
- Courses at 200 and 300 level are accepted in the master
- Master thesis of 30 or 60 credits is compulsory
More information about master thesis can be found here: