San Diego State University

  • San Diego State University

    San Diego State University


San Diego State University (SDSU) is the oldest higher education institution in San Diego, founded in 1897. Renowned for academic excellence, SDSU is home to top ranked graduate programs in business, engineering, public health and many others. With more than 35,000 students is SDSU the 4th largest university in the California State University System.  


Number of study places

Several Study Abroad spots available


Autumn: mid August – December.

Spring: mid January - May.

Selection of applicants

Minimum C in average is recommended

Level of studies

Bachelor (undergratuate) and Master courses (graduate).

American Language Institute

NMBU students will be enrolled at the American Language Institute and can choose from Semester at SDSU General Courses or Semester as SDSU Business Courses. Some business course are made specifically for international students.

Language requirements

4 in English from Norwegian 'videregående', or

TOEFL iBT score 80, or

IELTS score 6.5.

Recognition of study credits

One semester full time studies Bachelor level: 15.

One semester full time studies Master level: 9.

Course Catalogue

Search the course catalogue

Tuition fees

Tuition fees are approximately USD 7 400/semester


Various options available.

Visa / Residence permit

Visa: It is the student’s own responsibility to apply for a visa. A first step would therefore be to acquire information from the relevant country’s embassy.
Study visa: A student visa is necessary in order to study in the USA. You have to first receive a letter of acceptance from the host university before you can apply. The visum processing fee is currently USD $160, and the SEVIS registration fee is USD $180 - $200. The universities in the USA will issue a document for students to obtain either the F1 or the J1 visa. 

NOTE J1 visa: Be aware that this carries a clause whereby the applicant faces a two-year ‘quarantine’ period after the initial residence period, in which the applicant cannot apply for a permanent work or residence permit in the USA. However, this does only apply if the student received public funding, such as from Lånekassen.

More information: The US Embassy’s website 

Published 10. April 2017 - 13:18 - Updated 4. April 2018 - 13:37