Degree title: Cand. Med. Vet.
Gisle Bjørneby, NMBU
What can you use this qualification for?
This is a five and a half year professional degree programme. Successful candidates become qualified veterinary surgeons.
What will you learn?
The programme qualifies candidates for a wide spectrum of jobs within the veterinary profession, and other work requiring competence in medical science and biology - e.g. private practice with production animals, companion animals and horses, and food safety/public health work, fish health, animal welfare, slaughter house management, pharmaceutical industry, teaching, research etc.
A school leaving certificate incorporating mathematics and chemistry is required. Applicants must be fluent in Norwegian or another Scandinavian language. Admission is based on final school grades and is highly competitive.
Admission is centralised through the national "Samordna opptak", the Norwegian Universities and Colleges Admission Service (NUCAS).
Educational + professional goals
NMBU shall educate Veterinary Surgeons who:
- have the necessary basic knowledge and skills within the field of veterinary medicine to enable them to start their professional careers within all the various core areas of the profession, but who are even better prepared to start working within the area they have studied in depth during the final year
- have insight into the fundamental scientific principles which are the prerequisites for all knowledge in the field of veterinary medicine, and who are capable of building upon this insight and applying it in their professional life
- are able to carry out independent problem solving and life long learning
- acknowledge the intrinsic value of animals in their own right, and act as ambassadors for animal protection and welfare
- are able to communicate and cooperate with other people and treat them with respect
|Year||Autumn Semester||Spring Semester|
|1||Block 1||Blocks 2, 3 & 4|
|2||Blocks 4 (contd) & 5||Blocks 6 & 7|
|3||Blocks 7(contd) & 8||Blocks 8 (contd), 9 & 10. Also course in propaedeutic clinical work.|
|5||Clinical Training||Differentiation/Tracking Year (courses + clinical training)|
|6||Differentiation/Tracking Year (courses + clinical training) + final thesis|
Final Examination and examination and assessment regulations
See also: Courses, Modules and Blocks