PhD students in Norway
Students admitted to other Norwegian institutions can apply for "enkeltemnerstudier" directly to NMBUs Admission Office by using the application portal - Søknadsweb. Questions can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
PhD students outside of Norway
NMBU can accept applications from partner and non-partner institutions for admission to courses. All applications will be evaluated by the relevant Department at NMBU, and the Department will decide whether or not it has the capacity to admit the student, and if the student meets the necessary prerequisites. All international students not already admitted to another Norwegian university can send their application forms to email@example.com.
- Completed Application form
IMPORTANT: Please complete the application form with your private home address (inclusive postal code), and not the address of your home university or other institution.
- Copy of passport/ID card.
- Official academic transcripts in English (Official transcript is not just a print, but is an official document signed and approved by your home university).
- Documentation of English proficiency.*
- Confirmation of PhD status at your home university.
* Language requirements
NMBU offers courses taught in English and Norwegian. The English courses require one of the English levels listed below (Please do also see the Higher Education Entrance Qualification for Persons with Foreign Education - The GSU-list), and the Norwegian courses require documented fluency in Norwegian, Danish or Swedish. Students should choose courses relevant to their academic background and see if they meet the course prerequisites before applying. Teaching language and course prerequisites are specified in each course description in our course catalogue.
Applicants who are not native speakers of English must document their proficiency in English with one of the following tests:
- University document confirming a completed master's degree with English as the language of instruction.
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) with a minimum score of 500 for a paper based test (PBT), or minimum 60 on an internet-based test (IBT).
- International English Language Testing Service (IELTS), academic, with a minimum score of 5.0.
- Applicants with Norwegian upper secondary school: Foundation/level 1 course in English at upper secondary school (140 hours) with the mark 2 or better.
- Please note that a TOEFL or an IELTS test cannot be more than two years old.
- Pearson PTE Academic test with a minimum score of 51 points.
- University of Cambridge examinations:
- First Certificate in English
- Certificate in Advanced English
- Certificate of Proficiency in English
In some cases, applicants can document English proficiency in other ways. Please see the Norwegian Agency for Quality Assurance Education to find out about other ways to document English language proficiency.