Study Permit

Study permits are not required for citizens of EU/EEA countries, instead they should complete a registration process after arrival in Norway.

All other foreign nationals must apply for a residence permit to study in Norway. The Norwegian Directorate of Immigration(UDI) processes all new applications regardless of where the application has been submitted.

Where can I apply?
Normally a person living abroad should apply at the nearest Norwegian embassy or in some cases the Danish or Swedish embassy. To find out where you should apply, please visit the UDI pages.

In a few instances, international students can apply from within Norway. If you are not required to have a visa to travel to Norway and meet certain criteria you might be able to apply for your residence permit after arrival in Norway.

How can I apply for a study permit?
Depending on where you live, you can either submit a paper application or use the Application Portal Norway. Whether you submit a paper application or through the portal, all supporting documents must be submitted in person to the embassy. The organization number for NMBU is: 969159570.

What do I need to submit with the application?
This is a brief overview of the documents from Norway you will need to submit with your application:

  • Admission letter confirming study programme and length of studies
  • Documentation of financing for the academic year 2022/2023 the amount required is NOK  128 887 in one of the following ways:
    - Funds in a Norwegian bank account or the university bank account
    - Different rules apply for exchange students from partner universities as indicated on the admission letter
    - A Norwegian employment contract can also be used to document financing
    - (Alternative to the above: home government support may also be accepted in some cases)
  • Documentation of housing

Processing times vary
Overview of normal case processing times.

What does a student permit entitle me to?
A first-time student permit entitles you to study in Norway for the specified programme. The permit varies depending on the length of the study programme. Most study permits must be renewed annually to ensure that students have normal study progression and students still have housing and financing.
First-time permits allow students to work part-time during the semester (maximum 20 hours per week) and full-time work in the normal holiday periods.

What is the difference between a study permit (residence permit) and a visa?
A residence permit allows you to live in Norway for periods over three months. A visa allows you to travel to Norway for shorter periods of time or a maximum of up to three months. An entrance visa is automatically granted to students who receive a residence permit. It is normally only valid for 7 days and students must report to the police as soon as possible after arrival in Norway.

If you have any questions, please check out our frequently asked questions page.

Published 11. November 2013 - 11:13 - Updated 3. October 2022 - 14:26