Weber State University

About the exchange agreement

This is a university wide agreement. Students from most NMBU programs will find relevant courses, for example chemistry, biotechnology, botany, ecology, zoology, biology and much more.

Number of study places

Two exchange semesters per academic year


Autumn: end of August – middle of December.

Spring: middle of January - middle of May.

Selection of applicants

Students from all areas of studies can also apply. Recommended C average.

Level of studies

Bachelor students

Language requirements

4 in English from Norwegian 'videregående' or TOEFL/TEST. 

Recognition of study credits

Students must take 15 credits in one semester, which corresponds to 30 NMBU credits.
Important: exchange students must take UNIV 1106 American College Experience (3 credits).

Tuition fees

Health Insurance in the US
American universities have strict requirements for students’ health insurance. All students are studying in the USA should expect to purchase private health insurance recommended by the host university. This health insurance might be in addition to other (travel) insurances purchases by the student in Norway or abroad. University health insurance plans range from USD$ 500-1200 but can cost more. Read more about what health benefits you might be entitled to while studying in the USA on exchange from a Norwegian institution on HelseNorge.  

Visa / Residence permit
Visa: It is the student’s own responsibility to apply for a visa. A first step would therefore be to acquire information from the relevant country’s embassy.

Study visa: A student visa is necessary in order to study in the USA. You have to first receive a letter of acceptance from the host university before you can apply. The visum processing fee is currently USD $160, and the SEVIS registration fee is USD $350 for F-1 applicants and $220 for J-1 applicants. The universities in the USA will issue a document for students to obtain either the F1 or the J1 visa.  

NOTE J1 visa: Be aware that this carries a clause whereby the applicant faces a two-year ‘quarantine’ period after the initial residence period, in which the applicant cannot apply for a permanent work or residence permit in the USA. However, this does only apply if the student received public funding, such as from Lånekassen.

More information: The US Embassy’s website 

Published 22. May 2019 - 11:13 - Updated 3. January 2023 - 11:18