University of Nebraska-Lincoln

Number of study places
One exchange spot per academic year. Several fee-paying spots. 

Selection of applicants

Applicants who want to stay an entire academic year with the best average grade and the longest length of study will be given priority. The student need to have passed 90 credits at the time of application. To achieve a balanced exchange, students from programs with a low rate of exchange students might be given priority.

Level of studies

Bachelor and Master.

Language requirements

TOEFL score 525 (undergraduate), for graduates the requirement varies. Ask SiT for assistance if you want to know the requirement.

If awarded an exchange spot, tuition is waived. If awarded a fee-paying spot, students will pay out-of-state fees.

Recognition of study credits

15 credits for courses at the bachelor level (100 -400) corresponds to 30 NMBU credits.

12 credits for courses at the master level (500 - 900) corresponds to 30 NMBU credits.

Courses taken by previous NMBU Students:

CIVE447 Reinforced Concrete Design II
CIVE851 Introductory Finite Element Analysis in Solid Mechanics

LAW740G Negotiations
CRPL895 Urban Design Seminar
CRPL881 Urban Planning and Development
CNST225 Building Information Modeling

Health Insurance in the US
American universities have strict requirements for students’ health insurance. All students are studying in the USA should expect to purchase private health insurance recommended by the host university. This health insurance might be in addition to other (travel) insurances purchases by the student in Norway or abroad. University health insurance plans range from USD$ 500-1200 but can cost more. Read more about what health benefits you might be entitled to while studying in the USA on exchange from a Norwegian institution on HelseNorge.  

Visa / Residence permit

Visa: It is the student’s own responsibility to apply for a visa. A first step would therefore be to acquire information from the relevant country’s embassy.

Study visa: A student visa is necessary in order to study in the USA. You have to first receive a letter of acceptance from the host university before you can apply. The visum processing fee is currently USD $160, and the SEVIS registration fee is USD $350 for F-1 applicants and $220 for J-1 applicants. The universities in the USA will issue a document for students to obtain either the F1 or the J1 visa. 

NOTE J1 visa: Be aware that this carries a clause whereby the applicant faces a two-year ‘quarantine’ period after the initial residence period, in which the applicant cannot apply for a permanent work or residence permit in the USA. However, this does only apply if the student received public funding, such as from Lånekassen.

More information: The US Embassy’s website 


If you consider to apply one of our partner universities in the US, be aware that the universities may require a financial guarantee as proof that you can finance your studies.



Published 16. January 2017 - 11:31 - Updated 3. January 2023 - 11:18