Tennessee Tech University

About the exchange agreement
This is a university wide agreement. Students from most NMBU programs will find relevant courses, for example Animal Science, Agriculture, Environmental Science, Civil Engineering, Biology, Wildlife and Fisheries, Economics, Political Science and much more.

Number of study places
Two exchange semesters per academic year if there is a balance in the agreement. If there is an imbalance, students must pay regular tuition fees.

Autumn: end of August – middle of December.
Spring: early January -  early May.

Selection of applicants
Students from all areas of studies can also apply. Recommended C average.

Level of studies
Bachelor students and limited at the graduate level

Language requirements
4 in English from Norwegian 'videregående' or TOEFL/TEST. 

Recognition of study credits
At the bachelor level, students must take 15 semester hours in one semester, which corresponds to 30 NMBU credits.

Tuition fees
None unless there is an imbalance in the exchange agreement.

Health Insurance in the US
American universities have strict requirements for students’ health insurance. All students are studying in the USA should expect to purchase private health insurance recommended by the host university. This health insurance might be in addition to other (travel) insurances purchases by the student in Norway or abroad. University health insurance plans range from USD$ 500-1200 but can cost more. Read more about what health benefits you might be entitled to while studying in the USA on exchange from a Norwegian institution on HelseNorge.  

Visa / Residence permit
Visa: It is the student’s own responsibility to apply for a visa. A first step would therefore be to acquire information from the relevant country’s embassy.

Study visa: A student visa is necessary in order to study in the USA. You have to first receive a letter of acceptance from the host university before you can apply. The visum processing fee is currently USD $160, and the SEVIS registration fee is USD $350 for F-1 applicants and $220 for J-1 applicants. The universities in the USA will issue a document for students to obtain either the F1 or the J1 visa.  

NOTE J1 visa: Be aware that this carries a clause whereby the applicant faces a two-year ‘quarantine’ period after the initial residence period, in which the applicant cannot apply for a permanent work or residence permit in the USA. However, this does only apply if the student received public funding, such as from Lånekassen.

More information: The US Embassy’s website 

Published 20. December 2021 - 13:45 - Updated 3. January 2023 - 11:15