Am. University Washington

About the agreement 
The agreement applies to master’s level studies at the School of International Management (SIS) at American University. Noragric students are prioritised, but students from other departments can also apply.

Number of study places 
Two students annually

Semester timing 
Autumn semester: late August – early December.
Spring semester: end January – early May.

Selection of applicants 
Applicants are chosen according to the average grades achieved at the time of applying. An approximate average grade of B is the minimum requirement.

Language requirements
If the student is not a native English speaker, then language skills can be documented as follows:
- TOEFL-test: 100 (IBT), 250 (computer-based test), or 600 (paper-based test), or
- IELTS: score 7.0, or
- Confirmation of admission to an NMBU master program, or
- Confirmation that all coursework (30 study points) prior to the exchange period has/had English as the medium of instruction.

Recognition of study credits 
Master students are to take 9 credits (3 courses of 3 credits each).

Courses taken by previous NMBU students

COMM-639 Political Communication
SIS-620 Studies in Global Environmental Politics; Political Ecology of Food and Agriculture
SIS-649Environment and Development

SIS-606 Culture, PCR: Alternatives to Violence
SIS-620 Studies in Global Environmental Politics
SOCY-653 Intersectionality: Theory and Practice

SIS-635 NGO/Social Enterprise Management
SIS-730 Introduction to Data Visualization
SIS-638 Business-NGO Partnership Building
SIS-730 Monitoring and Evaluation
SIS-620 Water Governance
SIS-613 Reconciliation and Justice
SIS-633 Creative Arts/Intercultural Conflict Resolution
SIS-639 Advocacy for NGOs

ACCT-550 Accounting Information Systems
ACCT-607 Financial Accounting
ACCT-611 Cost Accounting for Strategic Management

Relevant Graduate Programs
American University also offers these graduate programs:
•  Accounting (MS)
•  Economics (MA)
•  Ethics, Peace, and Global Affairs (MA) [SIS]
•  Global Environmental Policy (MA)
•  Human Resource Analytics and Management (MS)
•  International Economics (MA) [SIS]
•  International Peace and Conflict Resolution (MA)
•  Organization Development (MSOD)
•  Sustainability Management (MS)

Tuition fees
Selected students do not pay tuition fees. However, other minor fees must be paid by the student. Among these a discounted travel card for the metropolitan DC area.

Health Insurance in the US
American universities have strict requirements for students’ health insurance. All students are studying in the USA should expect to purchase private health insurance recommended by the host university. This health insurance might be in addition to other (travel) insurances purchases by the student in Norway or abroad. University health insurance plans range from USD$ 500-1200 but can cost more. Read more about what health benefits you might be entitled to while studying in the USA on exchange from a Norwegian institution on HelseNorge.  

Other information
The US universities with which NMBU has agreements with, require evidence which shows that you can finance your studies there. If you use Lånekassen, then they can issue a guarantee for you. Information about what you probably can get in support can be found here (in Norwegian).

Visa/Residence permit
Visa: It is the student’s own responsibility to apply for a visa. A first step would therefore be to acquire information from the relevant country’s embassy.

Study visa: A student visa is necessary in order to study in the USA. You have to first receive a letter of acceptance from the host university (here: MSU) before you can apply. The visum processing fee is currently USD $160, and the SEVIS registration fee is USD $350 for F-1 applicants and $220 for J-1 applicants. The universities in the USA will issue a document for students to obtain either the F1 or the J1 visa. 
NOTE J1 visa: Be aware that this carries a clause whereby the applicant faces a two-year ‘quarantine’ period after the initial residence period, in which the applicant cannot apply for a permanent work or residence permit in the USA. However, this does only apply if the student received public funding, such as from Lånekassen.

More information: The US Embassy’s website 


Published 14. August 2014 - 14:31 - Updated 3. January 2023 - 11:12