Health insurance
Students who are compulsory members of the National Insurance Scheme (Folketrygden) and receive support from the Norwegian Loan Fund (Lånekassen) will be covered while studying abroad.

Students who do not receive Lånekassen support, you can apply for voluntary membership while studying abroad. The approval is not guaranteed, so it is recommended to start the application process early.

Travel Insurance
Students studying or doing fieldwork abroad need travel insurance.

If your application for voluntary membership in the National Insurance Scheme is not approved, then your travel insurance should also include health insurance.

The policy should at least cover:

  • Accidents, home contents, and travelling
  • Hospital expenses if you travel outside the EEA/USA
  • Travel expenses back/Repatriation to Norway in case of serious injury/death
  • COVID-19

It is the students' responsibility to make sure they have travel insurance before they leave.

The National Insurance Scheme provides entitlement to reimbursement of certain medical services, but they do not cover e.g. repatriation in case of illness.

Heading to a country within the European Economic Area (EEA/EØS)?
Make sure to bring a European Health Insurance Card before you go. This card proves that you are entitled to the reimbursement of expenses for necessary medical treatment when you are staying in another EEA country or Switzerland temporarily. You are entitled equal treatment as the country's own citizens. Both compulsory and voluntary members of the National Insurance Scheme can request the European Health Insurance Card on the website of HelseNorge.

Going to a country outside the EEA?
If so, you will need health insurance beyond your European Health Insurance Card.

Heading to the US?
If you receive Lånekassen support, then you will be enrolled in with Optum through HelseNorge. If you do not receive Lånekassen support, then you will first have to apply and be approved for voluntary member in the National Insurance Scheme.

Students who are not covered by the National Insurance Scheme can purchase the health insurance offered by the host university in the USA as it is a condition for studies at most American institutions.

Visa and residence permits
ou are responsible for getting information about visa regulations in the country of destination on your own. Check out the NMBU website with that specific university agreement and contact the country's embassy/consulate. Remember to check that you have a valid passport throughout the stay and that it is in accordance with the national regulations of the country. 

Remember to take the necessary vaccinations prior to your departure. You can find more information about vaccinations on Reiseklinikken. 

The Government's advice
Sometimes students travel to countries affected by turmoil and conflict. The Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs follows these situations closely and will be able to assist with information about unsafe areas. If you have any questions regarding this issue you should consult the Ministry or check their websites. Sometimes the Norwegian government discourage Norwegians to travel to specific areas. Such messages may come at short notice.

Published 31. August 2016 - 15:15 - Updated 25. March 2021 - 15:27