Who can apply?
- Higher educational institutions can apply for Jean Monnet Modul, Chair and Centre of Excellence.
- Higher educational institutions and other offices offering teacher education or continuing education for teachers within school and vocational training can apply for Jean Monnet Teacher Training.
- One school or one vocational training institution can apply for Jean Monnet Networks in Other Fields of Education and Training on behalf of partners in the proposed network.
- Individuals can not apply directly for a grant.
Further details about applicant requirements and network composition can be found in the Erasmus+ Programme guide.
What is new?
During the progamme period 2014-2020, the Erasmus + action Jean Monnet was designed to promote excellence in teaching and research in the field of European Union studies worldwide. The activities also foster the dialogue between the academic world and policy-makers, in particular with the aim of enhancing governance of EU policies. These will continue to be important goals for the new action, but in 2021 it will also include participation from the school sector and from vocational training institutions. The new aim is to help promote knowledge and understanding about the EU, European integration and how the EU institutions work.
Higher educational institutions will still be able to apply for Jean Monnet Modul, Chair and Centre of Excellence during the new Erasmus+ programme period. All activities aim to promote understanding about the EU, European integration and how the EU institutions work.
In order to reach a wider audience, schools and vocational educational institutions in program countries will now be able to participate in the initiative. Two new activities will be aimed at the sector:
- Teacher trainings: The Jean Monnet Teacher Trainings aim to support schools and VET (Vocational Education and Training) providers in planning, organizing and delivering EU content in their curricular and extra-curricular activities.
- Jean Monnet Networks in Other Fields of Education and Training: The Jean Monnet Networks aim to constitute the support to schools and VET providers for boosting knowledge on how to teach European Union subjects, they will also give an international edge to the learning exercise. Teachers’ exchange of knowledge (collaborative working on specific subjects and on methodologies, co-teaching experiences, common activities are the basis of the network activities. One way this can be achieved is through teacher/employee mobility.
What kind of funding is available?
Within the Jean Monnet action it is possible to receive support for a number of activities.
- Jean Monnet Module - A Jean Monnet module is a short education program or course within European Union studies at a higher educational institution (Minimum 40 teaching hours per academic year). The module can also help to integrate a European perspective in studies which is not primarily EU-related.
- Jean Monnet Chair - A Jean Monnet Chair is a teaching position specializing in European Union studies (the position is for one professor for the duration of 3 years with minimum 90 teaching hours per academic year).
- Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence - Jean Monnet Centres of Excellence are focal points of competence and knowledge on European Union subjects. They gather the expertise and competences of high-level experts aiming to develop synergies between the various disciplines and resources in European studies.
- Jean Monnet Teacher Training - The Jean Monnet teacher training will offer structured training proposals on EU subjects for schools and Vocational and Educational Training providers, and deliver specific individual or group training courses (modular, residential, blended or online) for teachers interested in the EU.
Erasmus+ Jean Monnet is a centralized initiative in Erasmus+ which is managed by the European Commission. The coordinator sends an application to the Education, Audio-visual and Culture Executive Agency (EACEA) in Brussels. If desirable, DIKU can provide advice and guidance in the application process.
Application forms are made continuously available.
Institutions, organizations and companies that want to develop projects within the centralized measures in Erasmus + can apply to DIKU for seed funding. Diku can also assist with guidance. Ongoing application deadline.