Three attempts - if no passing mark
You have the right to take examinations in the same course up to three times, provided that the relevant course and/or examination still exists and that the student has not already achieved a passing mark in the subject.
Retaking a passed exam
If the course and/or examination has been passed, you have an opportunity to take the same examination again, but only once in each individual course. Please note that you can only register for the ordinary exam in the course not re-examination (konte).
Application for a fourth attempt
If you have not passed an exam after three attempts, you may submit an application to the Department of Academic Affairs (Studieavdelingen) with reasonable arguments and may be granted an fourth attempt.
One of the following criteria must be met:
- by passing the examination in the course, the applicant will achieve the approved specialisation required to be awarded a degree
- on passing the examination in the course, the applicant can be awarded a degree at NMBU
- the applicant can document social or personal reasons why he/she has failed to pass the examination in the course within the stipulated
time (three attempts).
From NMBUs Academic regulations
(1) The student has the right to take examinations in the same course up to three times, provided that the relevant course and/or examination still exists.
(2) If the student has passed the course and/or examination, they have the opportunity to take the same examination again, but only once in each individual course.
- Students are not permitted to re-submit a thesis that has been awarded a pass mark.
- Students in the veterinary medicine and veterinary nursing programmes do not have a right to re-sit an examination they have passed.
(3) If a student has been allowed to take an examination in the same course more than once, the best mark achieved shall count, and only this mark shall appear on the transcript of marks and the diploma.
(4) Students who register to re-sit an examination in a course that they have previously passed do not have the right to attend classes in courses with limited teaching capacity, even though they are permitted to re-sit the examination.