Explanation and appeals regarding exam results

You may request an explanation for a grade given, you may also appeal a given grade or appeal about a formal error


You have the right to request an explanation for a grade given. It is recommended to ask for an explanation for the grade before making a decision on whether to appeal the grade. The general principles on which the evaluation and the evaluation of the candidate's performance were based must be explained.

How do you request for an explanation?

The request for an explanation must be addressed to the course responsible. If the course responsible is not available, the request must be directed to the faculty responsible for the course. The responsible faculty is listed at the course information webpage.

When can you ask for an explanation?

The explanation must be requested within one week after your grade was shown in Studentweb. You will receive an email when the examination results are available on StudentWeb. For oral examinations or assessments of practical skills, a request for such explanation must be submitted immediately after the notification of the grade.

When can you expect an answer?

The explanation should normally be given within two weeks after your request for an explanation. The examiner chooses whether the explanation shall be given orally or in writing.

Appeal about a given grade

  • It is recommended that you ask for an explanation before you appeal.
  • For courses with continuous assessment, students have the right to appeal after the final mark in the course has been announced. The student may only appeal the final mark for the course.
  • Students may not appeal marks for oral presentations, the evaluation of practical training, etc., or the mark for a preliminary examination the student passed.
  • There is an individual right of appeal with group examinations. Any change in grade after the appeal will only apply to the student who appealed.
  • If you want to appeal grade given, please use the form Appeal about a given grade

When is the deadline for the appeal?

Appeals must be submitted within three weeks after the grade has been announced. If you have requested an explanation within the deadline, the time limit for the appeal deadline extends from the date you receive the explanation.

Who will process the appeal and how long is the processing time?

  • The Departement of Academic Affairs receives the appeal and forwards it to the responsible faculty. The Faculty then appoints two new sensors.
  • An appeal submitted can be withdrawn until new assessment is available in Studentweb.
  • The grade as a result of an appeal shall be decided without undue delay. If the appeal is not to be processed within a month after the appeal has been received, the faculty must send you a provisional reply where they explain why the appeal cannot be processed earlier and, if possible, indicate when you can expect to have the decision from the appeal.
  • When the result is ready you will receive an email to your NMBU-email address.

Outcome of the appeal

The new grading may be unchanged or may be to the advantage/disadvantage of the student. The mark awarded as a result of the new grading may not be appealed, but you can request an explanation.

  • For group work where only one or a few of the group members appeal the mark, any change in grade after the appeal will only apply to the student(s) who appealed.
  • For appeals of a combined grade for written and oral performance(s), the new examiners shall assess the written work. If new assessment of the written work leads to a change in grade to the advantage/disadvantage of the student and the oral presentation was given at the same time as the written work, a new oral test is held to determine the final grade. This also applies to appeals on thesis.
  • If the new grade deviates by two or more grades from the original grade, NMBU shall make an additional assessment before the final grade is determined.

Appeal of formal errors

A student who has taken an examination, test or other assessment may appeal on grounds of formal errors that he/she believes have been committed in connection with the setting of questions, the way in which the examination was held or the assessment arrangements. Such appeals must be submitted in writing within three weeks of the date when he/she became aware or should have become aware of the circumstances on which the appeal is based. The appeal must be sent to post@nmbu.no.  The faculty will process the appeal as first instance. Should the appeal be rejected by the faculty, the appeal might be processed by NMBU's Appeals Committee as the final instance. 

  • The right to appeal a mark remains in force until any appeal of formal errors has been decided.
  • NB: Formal errors cannot be appealed after an appeal of the mark has been submitted.


Published 19. October 2009 - 11:00 - Updated 5. February 2021 - 9:23