The Norwegian Directorate of Immigration (UDI) has implemented an internet-based system where your residence permit application can be started. This system is called Application Portal Norway. Once your application has been registered on the portal, you can book an appointment at the police station. At the appointment, you must submit all of the supporting documents on the UDI cheklist to the police station for the application to be considered complete.
To use the application portal visit where you can pay the processing fee (NOK 5 900), and book an appointment time:
Organization number for NMBU: 969159570
E-mail address for the university: firstname.lastname@example.org
Where to book an appointment
If you live in Ås, you may submit your documents to any of the police stations in the Øst Police District.
This includes the police stations in Ski (called Follo Police), Romerike (Lillestrøm), Østfold (Sarpsborg) and Indre Østfold (Askim) politistasjon. See the application portal for all options available.
If you live in Oslo, you must submit your application to the police station there.
The following documentation should be submitted when applying for a renewal:
- Documentation of financing
- Documentation of housing
- Study progression report. It is not necessary to download the form from the UDI website as it is automatically generated by the student database with all of the required information. Fill in a request through the NMBU Help website.
Study Progression Report
- What is good study progression?
- Please request your study progression report on NMBUHjelp on the request form.
- The report must be requested at least one week prior to the appointment time.
- If your appointment is in Ski or Oslo, the study progression report will be sent by email and a copy of the study progression report will be available on the StudentWeb.
- If your appointment is at another police station, the report should be submitted at the time of the interview.
Documentation of Financing
For the study year 2023-2024, the financing amount required corresponds to NOK 137 907. If applying only for the autumn semester, the amount is NOK 62 685. The amount for only the spring semester is NOK 75 222. For a renewal, you must provide confirmation of funds in your Norwegian bank account (bank statement) on the first of every month, for the past six months. It is also possible to provide confirmation of your scholarship award or employment contract as proof of subsistence, or a combination of these.
If you are going on field work, a confirmation letter from the study coordinator may be attached to the application if you will be leaving Norway in early summer and returning in September. The duration must be clearly stated in the confirmation letter. For field work periods over six months, the immigration authorities will not grant a permit. A renewal application should be submitted 2-3 months prior to your return from abroad for the completion of your studies.
The study progression report should be requested as above. Please contact your administrative contact person at the department, to find out if an extension of the study period is required.