The Norwegian Research Council requires the postdoctoral fellow development plan must be in place within three months after the employment has started. Ref regulation for Univeristies and Higher education Section 6-4 and the " Forskrift om ansettelsesvilkår for stillinger som postdoktor, stipendiat, vitenskapelig assistent og spesialistkandidat".
Section 1-1 General provisions
Pursuant to section 6-4 (1) (f) to (i) of the Act relating to universities and university colleges, appointment for a fixed term of years may be used for posts such as postdoktor (post-doctoral research fellow), stipendiat (research fellow), vitenskapelig assistent (research assistant) and spesialistkandidat (resident).
Postdoktor (Post-doctoral research fellow)
(1) The main objective of appointment as a postdoktor (post-doctoral research fellow) is to qualify for work in senior academic posts. Appointees are required to hold doctoral degrees.
(2) Use of posts such as postdoktor (post-doctoral research fellow) is restricted to institutions with the right to award doctoral degrees.
(3) When applying for a post-doctoral research fellowship, the applicant shall submit a project proposal for the qualifying work. This proposal shall include a progress plan. It is required that the applicant will be able to complete the project during the period of appointment.
(4) The fixed term of the appointment shall be from two to four years. In the case of an appointment for more than two years the employer shall decide whether the employee shall be assigned compulsory duties in the form of teaching and similar work and the scope of any such compulsory duties.
(5) A plan shall be prepared for the implementation of the project that constitutes the basis on which appointment to a post-doctoral research fellowship is made. This plan shall be included as part of, or as an annex to, the contract of employment for the fixed-term post and shall include a project description and progress plan.
(6) The scope of any compulsory duties must be set out in the plan.
(7) The plan must include information concerning the person(s) responsible for academic supervision of the employee . Both the supervisor and the employee are obliged to notify the employer of any failure to carry out the plan.