The "postdoctoral fellow" is a tenure position that intends to further career within academia. The regulation for Universities and Higher education Section 6-4 and the " Forskrift om ansettelsesvilkår for stillinger som postdoktor, stipendiat, vitenskapelig assistent og spesialistkandidat" govern terms of employment as postdoctoral fellow.
Section 1-2 Postdoktor (Post-doctoral research fellow)
(1) The main objective of appointment as a postdoktor (post-doctoral research fellow) is to qualify for work in senior academic posts. Appointees are required to hold doctoral degrees.
(2) Use of posts such as postdoktor (post-doctoral research fellow) is restricted to institutions with the right to award doctoral degrees.
(3) When applying for a post-doctoral research fellowship, the applicant shall submit a project proposal for the qualifying work. This proposal shall include a progress plan. It is required that the applicant will be able to complete the project during the period of appointment.
(4) The fixed term of the appointment shall be from two to four years. In the case of an appointment for more than two years the employer shall decide whether the employee shall be assigned compulsory duties in the form of teaching and similar work and the scope of any such compulsory duties.
(5) A plan shall be prepared for the implementation of the project that constitutes the basis on which appointment to a post-doctoral research fellowship is made. This plan shall be included as part of, or as an annex to, the contract of employment for the fixed-term post and shall include a project description and progress plan.
(6) The scope of any compulsory duties must be set out in the plan.
(7) The plan must include information concerning the person(s) responsible for academic supervision of the employee . Both the supervisor and the employee are obliged to notify the employer of any failure to carry out the plan.
(8) For tenure-track appointments, the third to seventh paragraphs do not apply. (as of amendment March 2015)
The Norwegian Research Council stipulate that a development plan must be submitted when employing postdoctoral fellows with funding from the Norwegian Research Council. The career development plan must be available within three months of start-up.
Postdoctoral fellow positions with other funding (Minitry of Education recruitment positions, EU, other) a similar development agreement should be entered into.
- Form 1 Mandatory professional development plan for post-doctoral research fellows
- Form 2 Report of the post-doctoral period
- Guidelines Tenure Track Appointments (approved 22 Apr 2016)
- Nasjonal forskrift om ansettelse på innstegsvilkår (godkjent 2015)
- Nasjonal forskrift om ansettelsesvilkår for stillinger som postdoktor, stipendiat, vitenskapelig assistent og spesialistkandidat (revised 2020)
- Regulations concerning appointment and promotion to teaching and research posts with supplementary guidelines for NMBU (in Norwegian, approved 04.11.2019)
- Veileder for søkere og sakkyndig komite - professor ved NMBU inkl. mal for utdanningsfaglig kompetanse/ pedagogisk mappe (gjeldende fra 04.11.2019)
- Veileder for søkere og sakkyndig komite - førsteamanuensis ved NMBU inkl. mal for utdanningsfaglig kompetanse/ pedagogisk mappe (gjeldende fra 04.11.2019)
- Nasjonal forskrift om ansettelse og opprykk i undervisnings- og forskerstillinger (sist endret 2018)
- Nasjonal samordning av prosessene for professoropprykk innen MNT-fag (godkjent 2016, sist endret 2020)
- COURSE: Basic research project management
- Course: Veiledning av master- og doktorgradstudenter (PPVE400)
- WEBINAR: Academic writing for PhD candidates, post docs and supervisors
- ACTIVITY: the NMBU Talent Program
- ACTIVITY: NMBU MSCA Postdoctoral Fellowship Masterclass
- COURSE: Research Data Management and Data Management Plans (DMPs) (3 hrs)
- COURSE: Handling personal data in research and Data Management Plans (5 hrs)
- Other courses and activities at NMBU are listed here
The same rights and duties in case of absence due to illness apply for Postdoctoral Fellows as for other NMBU employees. You may find the routines for sick leave in the Health – Sickness in the Personnel Handbook, information text will pop up when selecting headings and boxes in the information flow. NMBU have entered into the Inclusive Workplace Agreement.
Absence for more than two coherent weeks are described in the Regulations on terms of employment for positions such as postdoctoral fellow, research fellow, research assistant and specialist candidate (link to Lovdata in Norwegian) Section 2-3.
More information about interruptions and extensions during the contract period may be found in your contract of employment.