STAT321 Theoretical statistics I
Check for course changes due to the coronavirus outbreak on Canvas and StudentWeb.
Showing course contents for the educational year starting in 2016 .
Course responsible: Ellen Sandberg
ECTS credits: 10
Faculty: Faculty of Chemistry, Biotechnology and Food Science
Teaching language: EN, NO
Limits of class size:
Teaching exam periods:
Course frequency: Yearly.
First time: 2016H
- Basic ditribution theory (Binomial, Poisson, normal, t, F and Chi sqare distribution).
- Multvariate and marginal distributions. Transfomations.
- Population mean, variance, covariance, correlation and independence.
- Estimation, confidence interval and hypothese testing.
- Linear models (ANOVA, Regression, ANOVA) by marix noation.
- Random effects.
- Classification and Cluster analysis.
- Generalized models.
Understanding of the theory behind the most common applied methods.
Lectures, exercesis and self study.
Lectures, exercises and individual supervision. Fronter.
Will be given later.
Basic statstics. Basic Calculus and linear algebra.
One assignment, must be approved before the final exam.
Written, final exam, counts 100 %.
A total of 300 hours:
- 52 hrs lectures
- 26 hrs exercises
- 222 hrs self-study
Special Requirements in Science.
Reduction of credits:
STAT250: 2 credits. STAT300: 2 credits. STAT310: 2 credits.
Type of course:
Lectures: 4 hours per week. Exercises: 2 hours per week.
Will be taught for the first time fall 2016.
An external examiner grades a minimum of 25 selected exam papers.
Allowed examination aids: All types of calculators, all other aids.
Examination details: One written exam: A - E / Ikke bestått