INN372 Corporate Innovation and Entrepreneurship
Showing course contents for the educational year 2017 - 2018 .
Course responsible: Siw Marita Fosstenløkken
Teachers: Elin Kubberød
ECTS credits: 10
Faculty: School of Economics and Business
Teaching language: NO
Teaching exam periods:
This course starts in the autumn parallel. This course has teaching/evaluation in the autumn parallel.
Course frequency: Annually
First time: Study year 2017-2018
"Big companies need to innovate or die. The question is how" (The corporate start up 2017). This course will give you insight into what Corporate Innovation and Entrepreneurship (CIE) is. The course will provide overview of different forms of CIE, equip you with tools to analyse conditions and scope of action to maneuver in different contexts (private and public sectors), present process models for how to succeed with CIE and go in-depth on how organizations actually work with CIE in big and medium sized companies.
The society depends on the survival of established companies to maintain employment, and thereby on their ability to innovate and produce entrepreneurial capacity to compete with fast start-ups and digital development that quickly turn national customers international and make markets global. This course will provide a deep understanding of what companies can do to build innovation ability and stay innovative over time, be it within service, production and market, or on methods, organizational processes or competence development. What resources are needed, what kind of map and models do they use, and what methods and activities, culture and structure work in an open innovation landscape? This course addresses these central questions in a context of established knowledge-based companies and public organizations as they aim to develop eco systems for innovation. We will explore cases, participate in an innovation camp and go on excursion.
After completing the course, you will:
- Have advanced knowledge of central theories, methods and questions within the subject area of corporate innovation and entrepreneurship
- Have insight into what established companies do to develop innovation ability within their own organization
- Be able to evaluate, analyse and use theoretical knowledge on practical problems within corporate innovation and entrepreneurship
- Be able to formulate and make arguments for reasoning in order to provide well-founded judgements among alternative solutions and communicate these skills to relevant stakeholders (e.g. mangers, employees, investors).
- Trained in working independently and together with others to critically assess and present questions and solutions on theoretical and practical problems within the subject, orally and in writing
- Be able to understand, use and take action to strengthen new thinking and collaboration that enhance corporate innovation and entrepreneurship in established organisations in both private and public sector
- Have competence to further develop innovation and entrepreneurship in established organisations, individually and together with others, and able to transfer and adjust knowledge and skills to new situations and contexts
- Master the subject¿s terminology and forms of expression and be able to present and communicate this to experts and the general public
This is a subject that requires preparation and presence to benefit from the learning activities: Teaching, guest lectures, student presentations, class discussions and analyses in plenary. Individual contributions, questions and constructive reflections in class. Case analyses and solutions. Presentations individually and in class. Participation and contribution at Innovation Camp and excursion. Deliveries on assignments given during the course. Work out and write a term paper in a group. Detailed preparations and self-study of assigned literature in front of each time in class.
Selected books, articles and chapters (to be announced on Canvas before the course starts)
Bachelor or equivalent
(i) Term paper written in a group of students (counts 50 %) and (ii) a written digital exam conducted individually (counts 50 %).
No re-sit examinations in this course
Examination details: Continuous exam: A - E / Ikke bestått