FYS160 Boundary Layer Meteorology
Showing course contents for the educational year 2018 - 2019 .
Course responsible: Mareile Astrid Wolff
Teachers: Arne Auen Grimenes
ECTS credits: 5
Faculty: Faculty of Science and Technology
Teaching language: NO
Teaching exam periods:
This course starts in August block. This course has teaching/evaluation in August block, .
Course frequency: Odd years
First time: Study year 2003-2004
- Basic concept of meteorology and climate in the atmospheric boundary layer
- turnover and transport of energy in the earth-atmosphere system
- Meterology and Climate for various types of surfaces and topography
- Climates of man-modified environments
- Explain the terminology and theories covering the physical processes and phenomena typical of the atmospheric boundary layer.
- Explain microclimate over various types of surfaces and topography
- Explain how human modifications of the enviroment can affect local energi, water and momentum budgets in the atmospheric boundary layer
- Apply theories and existing literature and theories to describe and evaluate the effects of man-made modifications of the environment on the local climate
Lectures, calculation exercises, colloquia and self-study.
By appointment, the students will be able to meet with the lecturer outside of the teaching hours.
Curriculum to be announced at term start
MATH100 and FYS100 or second year physics from upper secondary school.
FYS101 and FYS102 or Fysikk 2 from upper secondary school
Final written exam, lasting 3 hours.
150 hours including lectures and exercises.
Special requirements in Science
Type of course:
Lectures: 26 hours. Exercises: 26 hours.
The course is aimed at students who need knowledge about the atmospheric environment and how this knowledge can be applied to renewable energies, agriculture and forestry, nature management, ecology, area planning etc. for their further studies.
The course will only be given if at least 15 students have signed up by the sign-up deadline.
The external and internal examiner jointly prepare the exam questions and the correction manual. The external examiner reviews the internal examiner's examination results by correcting a random sample of exams as a calibration according to the Department's guidelines for examination markings.
Allowed examination aids: B1 Calculator handed out, no other aids
Examination details: One written exam: A - E / Ikke bestått