FORN360 Solar Photovoltaic Energy Systems
Check for course changes due to the coronavirus outbreak on Canvas and StudentWeb.
Showing course contents for the educational year starting in 2017 .
Course responsible: Muyiwa Samuel Adaramola
ECTS credits: 10
Faculty: Faculty of Environmental Sciences and Natural Resource Management
Teaching language: EN
Teaching exam periods:
This course starts in autumn parallel and has teaching/evaluation in autumn parallel
Course frequency: Annually if needed
First time: 2016H
This course will teach the students to how to plan, design and predicting the performance of solar PV systems. The course will address solar energy resource, solar module characteristics and components as well as design processes of different solar PV system applications (such as grid-connected and standalone systems). In addition, the students will be able to use available solar radiation and other meteorological data to estimate the potential and performance of solar PV systems and carry out their economic viability.
After the completion of the course, students should be able:
- To plan, design and assess (the performance)PV energy systems
- To evaluate and predict the performance of solar energy conversion systems
- To carry out design calculations for PV systems
- To discuss factors that affect PV performance
- To use available solar radiation- and other meteorological data to assess the potential of PV.
- To select appropriate PV components for a given applications
- To communicate and discuss issues related to solar energy resource assessment
- To discuss issues related to planning and evaluation of PV energy systems projects
- To carry out performance analysis of PV installations
- To communicate photovoltaic energy systems issues covered in the course with both specialists and the public.
- To evaluate economic viability of PV energy systems
Lectures, exercises and discussions
CanvasCourse responsible can provide academic support to students during office hours
Suggested reading books:Häberlin H (2012). Photovoltaics- system design and practice. John Wiley and Sons, Ltd, 1st EditionMasters GM (2013). Renewable and efficient electric power systems. John Wiley and Sons, Inc. Second Edition. (Note: Chapters 4, 5 and 6 for solar PV)Mertens K (2014). Photovoltaics: Fundamentals, Technology and Practice. John Wiley and Sons, Inc. First Edition.Messenger RA and Ventre J (2010). Photovoltaic systems engineering. CRC Press Taylor and Francis Group. Third Edition.
Other reading materials will be handed out at the first lecture
Basic knowledge in mathematics (MATH100) and MicrosoftExcel (BUS133), FORN200 or similar
Approved exercises, article review and presentation and, design project work.
3-hour written exam (counts 100%). All of the evaluated elements in the course must be passed to pass the course.
Special requirements in Science
Type of course:
Combined 52 hours lectures and exercises, students¿ presentation
External examiner will be used to moderate and evaluate the examination questions and answers respectively
Allowed examination aids: B1 Calculator handed out, no other aids
Examination details: One written exam: A - E / Ikke bestått