FORN350 Sustainable Management of Resources in a Circular Economy
There may be changes to the course due to to corona restrictions. See Canvas and StudentWeb for info.
Showing course contents for the educational year 2021 - 2022 .
Course responsible: Hanne Lerche Raadal
ECTS credits: 5
Faculty: Faculty of Environmental Sciences and Natural Resource Management
Teaching language: NO
Teaching exam periods:
This course starts in the autumn parallel. This course has teaching/evaluation in autumn parallel.
Course frequency: Annually
First time: 2015H
The course will give the students an introduction to European and Norwegian Waste politics and regulations, organisation of the waste sector, about volumes and composition of waste resources in Norway, about the methodological and data basis for waste statistics, about different methodologies for waste treatment as well as about quality standards for recycled materials. The course will give an introduction to waste logistics and basic knowledge about methodonlogies and models to evaluate enviromental and resource efficiency and effectiveness of different waste treatment solutions. The course will be based in lecturers with a high share of external guest lectures from experts in the waste sector, excursions to relevant waste treatment facilities and areas and exercises related to theories, methods and models that will be teached in the course.
The students will achieve detailed knowledge about:
- Methodologies and models for waste logistics and how to evaluate net GHG emissions from different waste management solution.
- Waste policies, management of waste resources in a circular economy and sustainable use of waste resources.
- How recycled materials influence environmental and resource efficiency and effectiveness of new products and which technical standards that must be fulfilled to use recycled materials in different types of products.
- Waste statistics as a tool to get an overview of waste resources in society
Through the lectures and practical training sessions, the students will be able to:
- Calculate environmental and resource efficiency and effectiveness, as well as cost-benefit analyses of different solutions, and the importance of transport in waste systems.
- Assess and describe the different actors’ role in the waste management systems, including the municipalities and Extended Producer Responsibility (EPR) companies.
Students should be able to communicate how the waste sector is organised, the data and basis for waste statistics, various treatment solutions for waste, as well as and quality requirements related to recycled material. The course will provide students with a good background for getting a job in municipalities, waste companies, private waste companies as well as national authorities and consulting companies
Lectures, exercises, seminars and excursions.
Use of Canvas
Compendium consisting of papers from relvant scientific journals, research reports and book chapters.
MATH100, FORN100, FORN200 or courses with similar content.
Written examination counts for 100%.
Minimum requirements for entrance to higher education in Norway (generell studiekompetanse)
Reduction of credits:
Type of course:
30 hours lectures and 30 hours seminars/exercises.
An external examiner will judge a random sample of written exams
Allowed examination aids: A1 No calculator, no other aids
Examination details: One written exam: A - E / F