FORN230 Energy Policy and Markets
There may be changes to the course due to to corona restrictions. See Canvas and StudentWeb for info.
Showing course contents for the educational year 2021 - 2022 .
Course responsible: Torjus Folsland Bolkesjø
Teachers: Jon Gustav Kirkerud, Per Kristian Kåreson Lobenz Rørstad
ECTS credits: 5
Faculty: Faculty of Environmental Sciences and Natural Resource Management
Teaching language: NO
Teaching exam periods:
Course frequency: Annually
First time: 2011V
The course adresses how energy resources, technology and policy affect energy markets and energy prices in the short and long term. The course includes topics such as supply and demand in the energy market, price formation in the power market, electricity prices in the short and long term, price effects of import and export of electricity, and how energy policy instruments affect the energy markets.
Students are expected to be able to:
- Explain how power supply and demand forms prices in the electricity market in the short and long run
- Explain how major energy policy means are designed and ho they affect electricity markets
- Analyze how various market drivers in the electricity market affect power prices in the short and long run.
Students should be able to
- Apply theory and knowledge about markets to explain how energy policy means affect energy markets and prices.
- Interpret and critically assess external energy market analyses
Students shall after the course be familiar with the functioning of markets and interactions between markets and economic incentives.
Lectures, assignments and independent study.
The reading list will be handed out at the first lecture.
ECN101 or similar
Four exercises must be submitted and evaluated as passed prior to exam.
Final written exam - 3 hours (counts 100%)
Minimum requirements for entrance to higher education in Norway (generell studiekompetanse)
Reduction of credits:
Type of course:
Total app. 35 hours lectures, seminars, exercises and guest lectures.
Examiner evaluates all exam assignments.
Allowed examination aids: B1 Calculator handed out, no other aids
Examination details: One written exam: A - E / F