EDS276 Writing seminar
Check for course changes due to the coronavirus outbreak on Canvas and StudentWeb.
Showing course contents for the educational year starting in 2019 .
Course responsible: William Stewart Warner
Teachers: Clayton David Gouin
ECTS credits: 5
Faculty: Faculty of Landscape and Society
Teaching language: EN
Limits of class size:
Teaching exam periods:
Course frequency: Annually in January block.
First time: 2019H
Restricted to Noragric bachelor students.
- Deconstructed (and revised) outline of prerequisite document (midterm)
- Evaluation of another participant¿s final paper (course end)
- Final assessment of paper based upon five-component rubric
- Ideas (critical thinking)
- Structure (organization)
- Style (clarity, cohesion, concision)
- Citation & References (APA format)
- Mechanics (APA format)
- Establish an understanding of expected structure and style in academic writing
- Provide metrics to measure improvement in scholastic skills
- Expected development:
- Structured ideas: claims based upon reasons, supported with solid evidence
- Organizational skills, including time management
- Strengthen research-based writing: citing and referencing to avoid plagiarism
- Three assessments of final paper (via rubric) by:
- Lecturer or course responsible
- Peer-review of another student¿s document
Lectures and peer-review.
Teachers are available at the workshops and through Canvas.
Will be published once the course starts.
Prerequisite: Students are required to bring an essay written from a previous class
An original document of academic writing (e.g., term paper or take-home exam)
Attend 80% of the lectures, complete assigned exercises, and participate in peer-review.
Continuous exam: Bestått / Ikke bestått (Pass/fail)
Reduction of credits:
LNG240 10 ECTS
Type of course:
- Meet daily (Mon-Fri) 8:15-15:00
- Lecture 8:15-10:00
- Writing exercise 10:15-11:30
- Peer-review 12:15-13:00
- Re-writing (based on peer-review) 13:15-15:00
An external examiner is involved in the final evaluation.
Examination details: Continuous exam: Passed / Failed