BUS310 Strategy Implementation and Performance Measurements
Showing course contents for the educational year 2017 - 2018 .
Course responsible: Silja Marianna Korhonen-Sande
ECTS credits: 5
Faculty: School of Economics and Business
Teaching language: NO
Teaching exam periods:
This course starts in January block. This course has teaching/evaluation in January block.
Course frequency: Annually
First time: Study year 2008-2009
Last time: 2019V
Masters degree students in Business Administration.
The key theme of this course is strategy implementation with emphasis on strategic performance management: challenges with strategy implementation, various models for strategy implementation, development of strategic performance management systems with emphasis on goal formulation and measurement, challenges and trade-offs related to using goals and performance measurement in different organizational contexts.
The aim of the course is to give students knowledge of strategy implementation and performance management. The key learning goal is that the students are able to contribute to successful strategy implementation from their own professional viewpoint. After the course the students
- know how management can reduce the most common problems in strategy implementation
- understand the interaction between different control mechanisms and organizational structure
- understand how performance management affects strategy implementation together with incentives
- know the characteristics of good performance measurement
- has knowledge of balanced scorecard
- can use scorecard as a performance management and strategy implementation tool
- can develop suitable procedures for strategy implementation and performance measurement for different types of organizations
- can develop and present suitable solutions for strategy implementation both orally and in a written form, and both alone and as a part of a group.
The students are encouraged to acquaint themselves with the theory before each lecture in order to participate in discussions and exercises in the classroom. The literature for each lecture is given at the course program. The students apply the theories on cases and discuss and present key literature in small groups.
K. G. Hoff and P. A. Holving, Balansert målstyring. Balanced scorecard in Norwegian. Universitetsforlaget 2015 (2nd ed.), plus articles and other material. The reading list will be available at Canvas.
This is an intensive course and requires your active participation from the beginning of the course. The participation in group work and lectures is compulsory. The participants will be organized in small groups and each group will present and discuss articles and assignments in the classroom. Students who arrive later than the second day of the course will be dismissed from the mandatory activities and consequently, from the exam. Mandatory activities are only valid for one teaching semester.
1. Written case (group work) (30% of the final grade). 2. Final written examination (individual) (70% of the final grade). Case and the final written examination must be passed during the same semester. Both case and final written examination must be passed for passing the course. There is no continuation exam in this course. Those who do not pass the course must retake the whole course (including the mandatory activities) next time the course is arranged.
Reduction of credits:
Type of course:
An intensive course in the January block with mandatory meetings on selected days, appr. 26 hours of structured activities in total. In addition, group work on cases.
The course is aimed at students taking a Master`s degree in Business Administration, with specialization in Strategy, Management or Business Economics.
External examiner will control the quality of syllabus, questions for the final examination, and principles for the assessment of the examination answers.
Allowed examination aids: B1 Calculator handed out, no other aids
Examination details: Continuous exam: A - E / Ikke bestått