AOS338 Strategic HRM
There may be changes to the course due to to corona restrictions. See Canvas and StudentWeb for info.
Showing course contents for the educational year 2019 - 2020 .
Course responsible: Nicolay Andre Melsæter Worren
Teachers: Flemming Ulrik Meisner
ECTS credits: 5
Faculty: School of Economics and Business
Teaching language: NO
Teaching exam periods:
This course starts in Spring parallel. This course has teaching/evaluation in Spring parallel, .
Course frequency: Annually
First time: 2016H
M-ØA og M-ECON, M-IndØk.
Overview of different perspectives on Human Resource Management and the connection to the strategy of the organization. Introduction to the influence of HRM-perspectives on how central HRM-processes, such as employee development, recruitment and selection, rewards and performance management, are executed in practice. Knowledge about how to organize the HRM-department and how HRM-theory can be implemented in practice. Development of specific HRM-interventions to solve practical challenges.
- Explain central HRM-perspectives and their consequences for practice
- Discuss dualities and opposing positions in HRM
- Apply relevant research on selected areas in HRM
- Explain selected methodological challenges for research on HRM
- Be able to evaluate assumptions related to key concepts/frameworks/theories, as well as identify similarities, differences and linkages across different concepts/frameworks/theories related to HRM
- Be able to describe and analyze practical HRM-challenges from an academic approach meaning in the light of concepts, frameworks and theories from the academic literature
- Be able to suggest an approach to resolve key HRM challenges using course concepts, frameworks and methods from the academic literature
- Be able to relate critically to weaknesses in choices of theory and solutions
- Be able to work effectively in a group that is responsible for a common deliverable
- Be able to present and discuss ideas and concepts verbally to a group in an appropriate way
- Be able to describe and critique ideas and concepts related to this topic in writing using effective language
- Awareness of challenges relating to the application of theory in practice situations
- Knowledge of generic concepts supporting the analysis of practice situations in the social sciences
Lectures, group work, cases, and exercises. Active participation is expected.
Complete curriculum is announced on Canvas
Primary textbook: Strategisk HRM 1, 2. utgave, av Aslaug Mikkelsen og Thomas Laudal (red.)
Bachelor degree or equivalent.
One or more social science courses.
One group assignment that counts for 30 % of the total grade and an individual written exam, 3 hours, that counts for 70 % of the total grade. All written materials are allowed for the individual written exam.
Both the group assignment and the individual written exam must be passed to pass the course. The grade for the group assignment is only valid in the semester it is handed in.
There are no opportunity to re-sit either of the two components of the exam.
Reduction of credits:
5 credits overlap with AOS331.
The course will not be offered spring 2020.
Allowed examination aids: C2 Alle typer kalkulatorer, alle andre skriftlige hjelpemidler.
Examination details: Continuous exam: A - E / F