Aquatic Food Production - Safety and Quality (AQFood)
Master of science (2 year) Full time
This programme focuses on production of aquatic food throughout the entire production and food supply chain, linking primary production – including aquaculture and wild catch – with processing and distribution before it reaches the consumers.
This is a double degree master's programme of 120 ECTS, including mobility, offered by a consortium of three leading universities in the Nordic countries:
- Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU), Department of Biotechnology, Trondheim, Norway
- Norwegian University of Life Science (NMBU), Faculty of Science and Technology, Aas, Norway
- University of Iceland HI (UoI), School of Engineering & Natural Sciences, Reykjavik, Iceland
You start with the first year at one university and take the second year at another consortium university in another country depending on your choice of specialization.
The first semester (30 ECTS) is equal for all, essentially given as e-learning, focusing on the entire aquatic value chain.
AQFood offers three study tracks starting with first year:
- Aquatic Production (first year at NMBU)
- Natural Resources (first year at NTNU)
- Marine innovation and Sustainability (first year at UoI)
The second year is used for specialization, which opens up for several possibilities. The specialization depends on the combination of universities. After studying aquatic production at NMBU, you will continue with marine innovation and sustainability at UoI during your second year.
More information at www.aqfood.org
An increased demand for aquatic food requires highly qualified candidates throughout the entire food chain. The growing aquatic food industry is becoming more and more integrated, which means that individual companies cover several parts of the entire value chain.
The programme gives you a global understanding of aquatic food production. You will learn about the entire value chain for aquatic food, from fishery and aquaculture to processing and distribution, until the product reaches the consumer. Furthermore, the programme focuses on safety and quality from the sea to the table.
Key elements of the programme at NMBU:
- Advanced knowledge of aquaculture.
- Knowledge in optimization of aquaculture production.
- Knowledge in design and management of aquaculture facilities.
- Practical knowledge in the operation of aquaculture facilities with focus on RAS systems.
- Knowledge in industrial food production and product development.
- Knowledge in industrial aquatic food product development.
Master thesis are offered in all the areas mentioned above.
A relevant bachelor or equivalent degree in life science or engineering. http://www.aqfood.org/admission/requirements
For specific admission requirements for the different study tracks, information about application and general questions about the study program see: www.aqfood.org/admission
As student within the international M.Sc. programme “Aquatic Food Production – Safety and Quality” (AQFood) you will have the unique possibility to stay for one year in two different universities and in two different countries.
For the master thesis you will have two thesis supervisors, one from each of the institutions involved in the study track. Your thesis will be assessed by both institutions and by external examiner. The supervisors will be your primary academic contacts at the two universities in your study track. Your supervisors will be able to give you advice with regards to selecting courses and ensure coherence in your study track and also on choosing the subject for your thesis.
Following table below shows the mandatory and suggested elective courses at NMBU in year 1 and year 2, when students choose their entry and exit universities.
|Year 1, fall|
|Year 1, spring|
|Year 2, fall|
|Year 2, spring||Master thesis (30)|
* The elective courses listed above are suggestions - it is possible to follow other courses as your elective courses.
** Other courses at master level can be taken than the suggestion above.