First-time Study Permit

New international students (only non-EU/EEA nationals) should apply for a Norwegian study permit (also called a residence permit) as soon as possible after admission is granted.

Study permits are not required for citizens of EU/EEA countries, instead they should complete a registration process after arrival in Norway.

All other foreign nationals must apply for a residence permit to study in Norway. The Norwegian Directorate of Immigration(UDI) processes all new applications regardless of where the application has been submitted.

  • Normally a person living abroad should apply at the nearest Norwegian embassy or in some cases the Danish or Swedish embassy. To find out where you should apply, please visit the UDI pages.

    In a few instances, international students can apply from within Norway. If you are not required to have a visa to travel to Norway and meet certain criteria you might be able to apply for your residence permit after arrival in Norway.

  • Depending on where you live, you can either submit a paper application or use the Application Portal Norway. Whether you submit a paper application or through the portal, all supporting documents must be submitted in person to the embassy. The organization number for NMBU is: 969159570.

  • This is a brief overview of the documents from Norway you will need to submit with your application:

    • Admission letter confirming study programme and length of studies
    • Documentation of paid tuition fees or confirmation of exemption of payment of tuition fees letter 
    • Documentation of financing for the academic year 2024/2025 the amount required is NOK  151 690 in one of the following ways:
      - Funds in your own Norwegian bank account or in SiÅs's bank account
      - Different rules apply for exchange students from partner universities as indicated on the admission letter
      - A Norwegian employment contract can also be used to document financing
      - (Alternative to the above: home government support may also be accepted in some cases)
    • Documentation of housing
  • Overview of normal case processing times.

  • A first-time student permit entitles you to study in Norway for the specified programme. The permit varies depending on the length of the study programme. Most study permits must be renewed annually to ensure that students have normal study progression and students still have housing and financing.
    First-time permits allow students to work part-time during the semester (maximum 20 hours per week) and full-time work in the normal holiday periods.

  • A residence permit allows you to live in Norway for periods over three months. A visa allows you to travel to Norway for shorter periods of time or a maximum of up to three months. An entrance visa is automatically granted to students who receive a residence permit. It is normally only valid for 7 days and students must report to the police as soon as possible after arrival in Norway.

    If you have any questions, please check out our frequently asked questions page.

  • EU/EEA students should register an application on the Application Portal Norway. At the end of the registration process on the portal, students are requested to provide supporting documents to the local police station. It is not possible to submitt supporting documents to an embassy abroad. Instead, after arrival in Norway, students should deliver their supporting documents one of the local police stations below.

    If you live in Ås, you may submit your documents to any of the police stations in the Øst Police District.

    This includes the police stations in Romerike (Lillestrøm), Østfold (Sarpsborg or Grålum) and Indre Østfold (Askim) politistasjon. See the application portal for all options available.

    See this document for directions to Grålum (Østfold Police station).

    Students must submit the follow supporting documents to the police station:

    • a valid identity card or passport
    • confirmation of admission to an approved educational institution
    • private health insurance or European health insurance card
    • handwritten or typed personal declaration stating that they have sufficient funds to support themselves while studying in Norway. The statement must be signed by the student.

    More detailed information can be found on the Norwegian Directorate of Immigration's pages on the registration requirement.