Purdue University

Number of study places 
Exchange: One. Students from several academic disciplines can apply (natural sciences, landscape architecture, economy, environment, plant sciences, ingineering, agriculture and others).
Students must take most courses at the College of Agriculture while on exchange.

Entry requirements

Applicants with the best average grades upon sending their applications.

Study level


Language requirements (English)

Upper Secondary school (‘videregående’ in Norwegian): Average minimum grade of 4.

Semester timing

Autumn semester: end of August – mid December.
Spring semester: mid January - mid May.

Recognition of study credits

Bachelor students: fulltime studies 12 credits correspond to 30 NMBU credits.
Students must take most courses at the College of Agriculture while on exchange.
NOTE: It can be problematic to do 600-level courses.

Courses taken previously by NMBU students


AGEC 25000 Econ Geog World Food
ECON 36000 Econometrics
ECON 37000 International Trade
ECON 47100 Behavioral Economics

AD 10500 Design I
CGT 11800 Fundamentals of Imaging Technology
HORT 22300 AutoCAD Applications in Horticulture
LA 22600 Landscape Architectural Design II
LA 49000 Norwegian LA in US

CE 497 Wastewater Treatment Process
CE 557 Air Quality Management
EEE 25000 Environmental Ecological and Engineering Systems
EEE 35500 Engineering Environmental Sustainability

Health Insurance in the US
American universities have strict requirements for students’ health insurance. All students are studying in the USA should expect to purchase private health insurance recommended by the host university. This health insurance might be in addition to other (travel) insurances purchases by the student in Norway or abroad. University health insurance plans range from USD$ 500-1200 but can cost more. Read more about what health benefits you might be entitled to while studying in the USA on exchange from a Norwegian institution on HelseNorge.   


The University can help in finding accommodation.

Visa / Residence permit
Visa: It is the student’s own responsibility to apply for a visa. A first step would therefore be to acquire information from the relevant country’s embassy.

Study visa: A student visa is necessary in order to study in the USA. You have to first receive a letter of acceptance from the host university (here:  HPU) before you can apply. The visum processing fee is currently USD $160, and the SEVIS registration fee is USD $350 for F-1 applicants and $220 for J-1 applicants. The universities in the USA will issue a document for students to obtain either the F1 or the J1 visa. 
The universities in the USA require that students use either the F1 or the J1 visa.
NOTE J1 visa: Be aware that this carries a clause whereby the applicant faces a two-year ‘quarantine’ period after the initial residence period, in which the applicant cannot apply for a permanent work or residence permit in the USA. However, this does only apply if the student received public funding, such as from Lånekassen.

More information: The US Embassy’s website 

Further note: The US universities with which NMBU has agreements with, require evidence which shows that you can finance your studies there. If you use Lånekassen, then they can issue a guarantee for you. Information about what you probably can get in support (in Norwegian).


Published 13. January 2017 - 12:45 - Updated 3. January 2023 - 11:14