New PhD students

The PhD coordinator at your faculty can help you or direct you to the right person regarding concerns like employment and supervision.
A list of the department PhD coordinators can be found at "Who does what?"

Residence Permits
There are three main categories for international persons who wish to study at NMBU:

1)      Right of residence in Norway for EU/EEA/EFTA nationals

If you are a citizen of an EU / EEA / EFTA country, you must register with the Norwegian Immigration Directorate. Through the application portal, you can make a preliminary registration at, book an appointment and then submit required documents to police station in the district where you live to complete the registration.

2)      International PhD candidates financed through employment

You should apply for a skilled worker residence permit at the Norwegian embassy in your home country if you come from a country that requires a visa to travel to Norway. If you can travel to Norway without a visa, you can apply for a residence permit from within Norway. The residence permit application will require a copy of your employment contract.  For more details about the application process, you can visit

3)      International PhD candidates financed through scholarships or non-employment sources

You should apply for a residence permit at the Norwegian embassy in your home country. The residence permit application will require proof of admission to the PhD programme, housing and financing guarantee.  For the academic year 2014/15, documentation of financing must be a minimum of NOK 97.850 per year.

Residence Permits and renewals are processed at the local police station:

 - For candidates living in Ås:
Vestveien 16, 1400 Ski (closed on Mondays)

- For candidates living in Oslo:
Grønlandsleiret  44, Oslo

Semester Registration Fee 
PhD candidates who are financed by Lånekassen can choose to pay the semester registration fee.

All other PhD candidates are not defined as "STUDENTS" in this connection, and are not allowed to pay semester registration fee. 

If you are living in the student dorm (Pentagon) you are required to pay the fee. By paying this fee, you get discounts in cafeterias on campus and on some train/bus tickets.

Since not all PhD candidates are required to pay, an invoice for semester registration is not automatically generated. Invoices are printed at the Student Information Centre (SiT) upon request. SiT is located on the ground floor of the Economy Building (building 27 on the campus map).

Course Registration
PhD candidates wishing to take courses at NMBU can register for regular courses on the StudentWeb. If web registration is not possible, please visit SiT in person for course registration.

For more information regarding visas, residence permits, semester and course registration, contact  

Identity (ID) card/Library card
If you are doing your PhD degree as an employee at NMBU, you can choose between a staff and a student ID card. If you are not employed at NMBU, you may only get a student ID card.

Certain PhD candidates are allowed to pay the semester registration fee, these include candidates financed by the Quota Scheme and NORHED programme and few others, and are not employed in Norway to complete the PhD degree. The Student ID card, valid only with the semester registration card, can qualify these candidates for discounts in cafeterias on campus and on some train/bus tickets.

The student or staff ID card also works as an electronic key card to most entrance doors, printer access and as a library card. If you require special access to buildings on campus, only your faculty can approve and request this. Note that printer access can only be given to one ID card.

The ID card is issued by Student Computer Services (1st floor of the TF building). Student Computer Services will take your photograph for the card. Opening hours are 10-15:45 (15:00 in the summer). 

The University Library
The NMBU library is located on the ground floor of Tårnbygningen (building 31 on the campus map). For more info about the library's services, see the Library pages.

The Head of Administration issues keys to your office door and to other places you may need to access. Please lock the doors outside normal working hours.

If you want to park your car on campus you need to have a special parking permit. You can get this at the reception in your faculty.

There are sports facilities on campus. If you want to take part in one or several of the sports activities, you are required to be a member of the employees’ sports association and buy a sports hall card . Contact NMBU-Sports.

Please contact SiÅs for student accomodation rooms, or DSA for NMBU flats and houses.

Health and Welfare Services

In the case of medical emergency – dial 113

As an employee you should contact the staff in charge of personnel matters at your faculty.

As a student, information regarding access to medical and social services can be found on the SiÅs webpages.

NMBU in general
We ask all students and PhD candidates to check the homepage for information about NMBU in general, education, research etc.

Obligatory registrations with Norwegian authorities
SiT offers regular information meetings general guidance on obligatory registrations such as residence permits, work permits, health controls, opening bank accounts, etc. with Norwegian authorities at the beginning, during and at end of a study period at NMBU.

Published 28. January 2015 - 9:17 - Updated 20. August 2020 - 12:13