English Language requirements
English taught programmes have the following requirements for proficiency in English.
Please note that the NMBU requirements are stricter than the requirements set in the NOKUT GSU list.
Applicants with a lower score than the listed requirement will not be offered admission.
|TOEFL (iBT) or TOEFL (IBT) Home Edition|
(Institutional code: 8457)
(Institutional code: 6935) required overall band score
First certificate in English
B or better
Certificate in Advanced English
C or better
|C or better||C or better|
Certificate of Proficiency
|C or better||C or better|
C or better
|Pearson PTE Academic||59||65||65|
|Vg1 course in English at Norwegian upper secondary school (140 hours)||4||4||4|
|Advanced course in English at Norwegian upper secondary school||Pass||Pass||Pass|
- -Minimum one year of studies on university level in Great Britain, Ireland, USA, Canada, New Zealand or Australia. Please note that branch campus, validated and franchised programmes and distance learning students are not exempt from providing an English test. Having worked in an English speaking environment or lived in an English speaking country does not satisfy the English language requirement.
- -Bachelor degree or minimum one year of master studies (60 ECTS) with English as the medium of instruction completed in one of the Nordic countries.|
- -University degree in English language and/or literature. This means that the subject of study is the English language. A degree in other disciplines taught in English does not meet this requirement. You must have passed linguistic courses in English equal to at least 60 ECTS.
- -IB Diploma: English A with grade 3 or better or English B with grade 5 or better.
- -Applicants educated in a country listed with no English requirement in the NOKUT GSU list are exempt from the above test requirement. Applicants with High school from USA must order transcripts sent directly to email@example.com If your country is listed with "Yes, Yes 1, Yes 2, Yes 3 or Yes 4", documentation of English (with a test or education as listed above) is required.
- -Upper secondary education from one of the countries listed below, with satisfactory completion of the specified English language course.
|Austria||English at Reifeprüfung, Matura or Reifeprüfungszeugnis (at AHS)||2 or better|
|Belgium – Flemish-speaking||English at Algemeen Secundair Onderwijs||Passed|
|Belgium – French-speaking||English at general secondary education (Certificat d'Enseignement Secondaire Supérieur)||15 or better|
|Bulgaria||English as 1. foreign language at Diploma za sredno obrazovanie||Mnogu dobur or better|
|Denmark||English C||7 or better at ÷ 3-12 scale or 8 or better at 00-13 scale(average of all grades)|
|Denmark||English A or B||02 at ÷ 3-12 scale or 6 at 00-13 scale(average of all grades)|
|Estonia||English foreign language A or B at Löputunnistus||5,0 (from 2014)|
|Estonia||National exam in English at Riigieksamitunnistus||56 % or better (before 2002 and after 2013) or 61% or better (2002-2013)|
|Finland||English A at avgångsbetyget från gymnasiet / Lukion päästotodistus English lång lärokurs on studentexamensbetyget/ ylioppilastutkintotodistus||8 or better Cum laude approbatur|
|France||English at baccalauréat||11 or better|
|Faroe Islands||English at niveau C at studentsprógv English at niveau B or A English at niveau C English at niveau B or A||9 or better Grade scale 00-13 6 in grade scale 00-13 7 or better in grade scale ÷3-12 02 in grade scale ÷3-12|
|Germany||English at Zeugnis der Allgemeinen Hochschulreife||10 punkte or better|
|Greenland||English nivå C at Grønlands gymnasiale uddannelse or Højere handelsexam (HHX) or Højere teknisk exam (HTX)||7 or better Grade scale ÷3-12 (7,0 average oral and written) 9 or better Grade scale 00-13 (9,0 average oral and written)|
|Hungary||Upper secondary school, English specialization, emet szintu erettsegi vizsga||Grade 4 or better|
|Iceland||English at Stúdentspróf with 200-240 fein (framhaldsskolaeiningar) (certificate after the 2008 reform) English at Stúdentspróf with 140 einingar (certificate before the 2008 reform)||10 fein in English at level 2 or 3 (2. or 3. Þrep) with grade 8,0 or better(average of all modules or of yearly Grade (árseinkunnir / námseinkunn) or exams Grade (prófseinkunn) 9 einingar in English with grade 8,0 or better (average of all modules or of yearly Grade (árseinkunnir / námseinkunn) or exams Grade (prófseinkunn)|
|Latvia||State exam in English at Vispārējās Vidējās Izglītības Sertifikāts (from 2013)||At least 70% at level B2 or C1|
|Lithuania||English at B2-level at Brandos Atestatas or English at B1-level at Brandos Atestatas||Grade 4 or better Grade 6 or better|
|Poland||English specialization, poziom rozszerzony, at Diploma for upper secondary after 2005||Dobry or better|
|Romania||English exam at Diploma de Bacalaureat||B2-level at all five separate tests|
|Slovenia||English as first foreign language at Spricevalo o splošni maturi or Spricevalo o poklicni maturi||Prav dobro or better|
|Sweden||English 5 and 6 at GY11 English A at Programgymnasiet English B at Programgymnasiet English at Linjegymnasiet||Grade C in both subjects English A with grade VG or MVG English B with grade G or better (average of all grades In English) Årskurs 2 from 2- pg 3-year course with grade 4 or better or English etapp 2 from komvux with grade 4 or better|
|Switzerland||English at Maturitätszeugnis, Certificat de Maturité, Baccalauréat or Attesto di Maturità||Grade 5 or better|
|The Netherlands||English at VWO English at HAVO||Grade 6 or better|
Language requirements for programmes taught in Norwegian
NMBU offers bachelor programs, master programs and non degree studies with Norwegian as medium of instruction. For these programs/courses, proficiency in Norwegian and English is required.