Insurance for international students at NMBU

As a foreign student you are responsible for making sure you have valid health insurance. Depending on where you are from, there are different ways of arranging this. On this page you can find information that applies to you. 

Please note that NMBU does not provide insurance of any kind during your stay in Norway. If you are planning to take a trip outside of Norway while you are here, you must make sure your insurance covers you - as the National Insurance only applies within Norwegian borders. 

Health Insurance /National Insurances

  • You must bring a valid European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) with you from your home country.* This entitles you to medical care on the same conditions as the citizens of the EU/EEA country you are visiting. The general rule is that you do not become a member of the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme. If you do not have a European Health Insurance Card, you must have private insurance.

    * Exemption: Nordic citizens are entitled to medical care under the National Health Insurance Scheme without any insurance documentation.

  • Staying less than 3 months (non-EU/non-EEA)

    • International students from non-EEA/EU countries staying in Norway for less than 3 months are not eligible for membership in the National Insurance Scheme. You are responsible for making sure that you have valid health insurance.

    Staying between 3 to 12 months (non-EU/non-EEA)

    • Students from non-EU/non-EEA countries who will be studying and living in Norway between 3 to 12 months can apply for enrollment in the National Insurance Scheme.

      However, we do recommend that you take out a private health insurance before arrival, as it may take some time before you obtain a membership. You can only apply for the membership after receiving a national ID number or D-number:
      • 1. Once you have your national ID or D-number, go to Nav.
      • 2. Bring your passport, your student card, student ID app, and your residence permit.

    After obtaining membership, you will have almost the same right to medical care as Norwegian citizens, although there are some limitations, please see the link below.

    Staying more than 12 months (non-EU/non-EEA)

    • Students staying in Norway for more than 12 months, and who have a valid residence permit, automatically have health insurance under the National Insurance Scheme from the date they arrive in Norway. The insurance is however not valid abroad.

    See the official page for membership of the National Insurance Scheme

  • EEA/EU students

    If you take a trip to another European country and need medical treatment, the European Health Insurance Card covers you on the same conditions as the citizens of the country you
    are visiting. It is however recommended that you take out a private travel insurance.

    Non-EEA/non-EU students

    You will not be covered by the Norwegian National Health Scheme if you travel outside Norway. If you are hospitalized you will have to pay all medical expenses. It is therefore essential to have valid travel insurance.