Course responsible:Attila Nemes, Line Tau Strand
Campus / Online:Taught campus Ås
Limits of class size:20
Nominal workload:250 hours.
Teaching and exam period:This course starts in August. This course has teaching/evaluation in August block, Autumn parallel.
About this course
- Three weeks in August will, in full, be used for intensive field and laboratory work. The field and laboratory work will be conducted group wise and will be followed by key lectures in plenum. The fieldwork consists of 1) soil profile descriptions and field classification 2) in situ measurements of some soil physical parameters such as infiltration tests and soil moisture and temperature measurements 3) soil sampling for chemical and for soil physical analysis in laboratory 4) soil variability assessment a limited area. The laboratory work includes preparing (drying and sieving of soil) for and carrying out some chemical and physical soil analysis. Some analysis will be conducted by the students themselves other will be sent for analysis to professional laboratories. Analysis done by the students include, aggregate stability and size, determination of volumetric conditions in soil, pore-size distribution, measurements of water and air capacity and conductivity in soil, pH, organic matter content by loss on ignition. Particle size analysis, cation exchange capacity (CEC) and some extractions of Fe and Al will be analyzed by others. In the autumn parallel, two hours each week will be used for lectures and processing of the data for the final report. Students must organize the writing of the group report themselves (each student should allocate 100 h to report writing in the autumn parallel).
- The teachers are available during regular office hours and web-based classroom will be used actively.
- Basic course in soil science e.g. JORD100 Soil Science
- Written report (group work, 2-4 students) (40%)
- Individual oral examination (60%)
Both parts of the examination must be passed.
Grading system A-E / Not passed.
- External examinor will participate in the oral exam and evaluate the group reports.
- Participation in the field and laboratory work is mandatory (80% presence required)
- In August the students must be prepared for whole days in the field and must be equipped for and prepared for physical work connected to the fieldwork.
- B-MILJØ, M-MILJØ
- Reduction of credits: Students with exam from JORD230 will get a reduction of 2 ECTS
- Letter grades
- Special requirements in Science