PHO302 Computational Photonics
Viser emneinfo for studieåret 2022 - 2023.
Emneansvarlige: Achim Kohler
Medvirkende: Johanne Heitmann Solheim, Beibei Kong, Maren Anna Brandsrud
Ansvarlig fakultet: Fakultet for realfag og teknologi
Undervises på språk: EN
Undervises i periode:
Første gang: Studieår 2022-2023
Undervises hvor?: Campus Ås
- Maxwell's equations and basic concepts in electromagnetics.
- Numerical methods based on discretization such as finite differences time domain (FDTD), finite elements (FEM) and Method of Moment (MoM)
- Theory of convergence, stability and error analysis.
- Study computational problems in relevant applications such as propagation of light in waveguides, light absorption and scattering problems.
- Programming to implement the numerical methods for electromagnetic problems in photonics.
- Use of commercial software for electromagnetic problems in photonics.
In this course, the students will learn computational methods to solve relevant problems in photonics. The students will learn how to simulate and numerically solve electromagnetic problems in two and three dimensions. The students will be introduced to numerical methods based on discretization. Both programming and commercially available solvers will be used in this course. The students will receive training in communicating scientific results, through reports and oral presentations. They will be able to analyze and critically evaluate various sources of information and use them to structure and formulate scholarly arguments.
The Course contains:
- LECTURES where central ideas, theory and examples are covered.
- PLENUM TUTORIALS
- TUTORIALS that illustrate use and understanding of central concepts.
The syllabus will be presented at beginning of the course.
One of the three assignments will be chosen by the course examinator to be presented at the final oral exam. The course examinator will also ask other questions from the syllabus.
Oral exam: A - E / F