EDS348 Global miljøpolitikk og forvaltning
Viser emneinfo for studieåret 2022 - 2023.
Emneansvarlige: Guri Bang
Medvirkende: Pål Olav Vedeld
Ansvarlig fakultet: Fakultet for landskap og samfunn
Undervises på språk: EN
Begrensning antall plasser:
Undervises i periode:
Emnet starter i vårparallellen. Emnet har undervisning/vurdering i vårparallellen, .
Første gang: Studieår 2010-2011
Undervises hvor?: Campus Ås
This course will examine national, regional, and international policies designed to address global environmental challenges such as climate change, biodiversity loss, deforestation, unsustainable consumption, chemical hazards, and energy system transitions. The class will explore why environmental problems occur, identify the characteristics and drivers of global environmental problems, and discuss their underlying causes. We will critically examine the range of policy responses developed by society to address environmental challenges, including international environmental agreements, national environmental policies, and transnational governance arrangements initiated by non-state actors. Environmental governance is often characterized by conflict, centered around the distributional, geographical, and social justice implications of policies, and students will learn both about conflict drivers and potential solutions. The class will learn how norms, rules, institutions, and practices structure the relations between state and non-state actors at different governance levels (local, national, and international). We will also address the linkages and interactions between governance levels. Students will also learn how to evaluate policy responses designed to ameliorate environmental problems, focusing on social justice aspects and legitimacy. The course will provide in-depth knowledge about the main actors of global environmental governance, including states, international organizations, transnational governance actors, private companies, and non-governmental organizations. Environmental policies in key actors like the United States, China, Brazil, India and the EU will be used as examples.
- Acquire comprehensive knowledge of the design and practices of environmental politics and governance
- Gain deep insights into environmental policy processes at different levels of governance, including the role of different actors, interests, institutions, and ideas involved in such processes
- Develop capacity to analyze environmental policies by employing theories and methods for policy analysis
- Know how to evaluate the design of key international environmental agreements, conventions, and protocols, how they function, and how they interact with national and transnational environmental governance initiatives.
- Critically evaluate and analyze environmental governance at the global, national, and local levels
- Critically analyze existing environmental governance structures
- Actively participate and contribute to academic discussions about environmental governance
- Provide and receive constructive review on academic texts and presentations
- Give presentations on environmental governance topics
- Participate constructively in teamwork
- Develop competency in critical thinking around environmental governance
- Reflection on own and other people's environmental attitudes, values and norms
Standard lectures will be combined with problem-based learning and group discussions. The course includes seminars where students are engaged in active learning through making a podcast (group work), learning how to write popular science texts (op-ed/column, individual assignment), and giving presentations in groups. The course also includes an excursion to Telemark where students meet and learn from the practices of regional- and local level environmental governance representatives.
Lærebok og et utvalg tidsskriftsartikler. Detaljert informasjon om pensum vil legges ut på Canvas tidlig i januar
Bakgrunn i grunnleggende samfunnsvitenskap
Emnet undervises på engelsk. Se engelsk emnebeskrivelse
Ekstern sensor benyttes til å godkjenne evalueringsopplegget og ved sensur av et utvalg besvarelser ved den avsluttende skriftlige eksamen.
Totalt arbeidsomfang: 250 timer. Forelesninger: 30 timer. Gruppediskusjoner, seminarer og student-presentasjoner: 10 timer. Utferd: 2.5 dager/20 timer. Veiledning: 2 timer. Selvstudium, arbeid med semesteroppgave, forberedelse til presentasjoner mm: 185 timer. Eksamen: 3 timer.
Forelesninger: 30 timer. Gruppediskusjoner, seminarer og student-presentasjoner: 10 timer. Utferd: 2.5 dager/20 timer. Veiledning 2 timer .
Hjelpemidler ved skriftlig eksamen(er): A2 Ingen kalkulator. Spesifiserte andre hjelpem.
Eksamensdetaljer: Samlet vurdering: Bokstavkarakterer