VET320 Research Methodology and Writing a Thesis
Showing course contents for the educational year 2018 - 2019 .
Course responsible: Ane Christine Wammer Nødtvedt, Rolf Bjerke Larssen
Teachers: Anne Cathrine Munthe, Ingrid Toftaker, Eystein Skjerve
ECTS credits: 1.5
Faculty: Faculty of Veterinary Medicine
Teaching language: NO
Teaching exam periods:
This course has teaching/evaluation in Spring semester,
This course has teaching/evaluation in Fall semester
Course frequency: First week of every semester
First time: Study year 2017-2018
- Scientific writing: principles and practical assignments.
- Scientific method: planning and design of research projects.
- Critical reading of scientific publications
- Questionnaires: planning and execution.
- Scientific literature: searching in databases and the use of reference tools.
- Data management: establishment and use of own database.
- Statistics: basic methods for description and analysis of data.
The course will provide students with practical and scientific methodological basis for a good start and implementation of a thesis at NMBU Veterinary college.
The block forms the basis so that the student after completing the course will master the following «Day one skills» by EAEVE: 1.8, 1.10, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3,
After completing the course the student should:
- Have the necessary methodological expertise to conduct a thesis at NMBU Veterinary college.
- Be able to make a good plan for the work with a thesis based on the standard protocol for NMBU Veterinary college.
- Be able to make appropriate cover letter and registration form for the completion of a questionnaire relating to own thesis, and to make a relevant database in accordance with the standard template.
- Be able to explain the main types of research design and relevant statistical methods, and know which designs and analysis methods that are appropriate in a thesis.
- Know the principles of scientific writing, have established a Word file for writing the thesis based on the default template, and use EndNote to store references and create reference lists.
- Understand the importance of critical reading of scientific papers, and understand how systematic and random errors can give misleading information both in published papers and in their own thesis.
Learning is achieved through application of principles and methods introduced in the course in the development of a protocol for own thesis, as well as a corresponding database, and a corresponding questionnaire.
Recommended literature and detailed description of the course are found at the block's home area on Canvas
Completed 1-9. semester of the Veterinary Medicine Program
Students must have clarified the specific purpose of the task before the course starts.
There is no requirement for attendance.
The course is passed when the following requirements are met
- Passing the multiple choice test on the last day of the course.
- Submission of revised protocol after the presentation and joint discussion with the supervisor and the course coordinator.
If the student fails the multiple choice test, a new test is carried out and must be passed within three weeks or in connection with the course the following semester.
Admitted to the Veterinary Medicine Program and completed 1-9. semester of the veterinary medicine program
- Personal laptop.
Examination details: KIFO-kurs: Bestått / Ikke bestått