BIO235 Biotechnology and Chemistry in Business Life
There may be changes to the course due to to corona restrictions. See Canvas and StudentWeb for info.
Showing course contents for the educational year 2020 - 2021 .
Course responsible: Knut Rudi
Teachers: Lars Jordhøy Lindstad
ECTS credits: 5
Faculty: Faculty of Chemistry, Biotechnology and Food Science
Teaching language: NO
Limits of class size:
Teaching exam periods:
This course starts in the Autumn parallel. This course has teaching/evaluation in the Autumn parallel
Course frequency: Anually
First time: 2020H
Bachelor`s programs in biotechnology and chemistry
The Master`s programs in biotechnology and chemistry
The Master`s program in technology, chemistry and biotechnology
The course will give an introduction to how business and industry work. The course will focus on quality control, risk assessment and various chemical and biotechnological processes, as well as legislation / requirements and documentation of processes and products.
A report must be written in which one chooses a company and evaluates the quality systems and risks associated with the products / services in this company, and what requirements there are for their documentation.
The report is presented in groups to the other students
The course will contribute to UN Sustainability Goal 9 (Innovation and infrastructure: Building solid infrastructure, promoting inclusive and sustainable industrialization and contributing to innovation).
- Knowledge of quality standards and legislation related to manufacturing in business
- Knowledge of product development processes
- Knowledge of risk assesment
- Knowledge of documentation requirements
- Knowledge of chemistry and biotechnology in business in Norway
- Be able to set up quality systems for simple services and products
- Be able to perform risk assessment of products/processes
- Be able to set up a plan for development of simple products
- Be able to document products and processes
- Be able to work in business
- Know about the interaction between business, government and academia
Lectures.Group tasks.Oral presentation.Excursion to companies.Career day (KBM).
Contact with teachers via Canvas and e-mail. Lecture notes will be posted on Canvas.
Lectures and selected scientific articles.
KJM100 General Chemistry(or equivalent).
Compulsory attendance at lecturesApproved written assignment and presentationParticipation in excursion
Skills in report writing and oral presentation,
Evaluation of students`learning will be based on their theoretical knowledge and understanding.
Lectures: 12 hours
Tutorials, writing the semester paper and oral presentation 138 hours
Special requirements in Science
Type of course:
- Lectures: 2 hours (double hour) per week for 6 weeks in the atumn parallel.
- Visits to companies in week 42, 43 og 44.
- Semester assignmen and oral presentation in November/December before the exam period.
A maximum of 30 students, prioritized in the following order
- Thrird year students on B-BIOTEK / B-KJEMI / M-KB
- Master's students on M-BIOTEK / M-KJEMI
Internal and external examiners approve written reports and oral presentation.
Examination details: :