Paul is an institutional economist within agriculture, resource and development studies. He holds a master degree in Natural Resource Management and a PhD in Resource, Agriculture and Development Economics from UMB (now called NMBU). Apart from working at NMBU, he has been a Norwegian farm hand, a development worker in India and an advisor in the Norwegian parliament. He has been a local politician for 20 years. His main fields of interest are governance and policy analysis, biodiversity and climate change, livelihood and poverty studies, general development studies and theoretical issues around interdisciplinarity.
- Governance • Institutional Theory and Economy • Agriculture and Development • Livelihood-studies and environment • Natural Resources and Development • Forest politics • Social organisation • Interdisciplinarity
1. Cavanagh, Connor Joseph; Vedeld, Pål Olav; Trædal, Leif Tore.
Securitizing REDD+? Problematizing the emerging illegal timber trade and forest carbon interface in East Africa. Geoforum 2015 ;Volume 60. p. 72-82
2. Nakakaawa, Charlotte; Moll, Ricarda; Vedeld, Pål Olav; Sjaastad, Espen Olav; Cavanagh, Connor Joseph.
Collaborative resource management and rural livelihoods around protected areas: A case study of Mount Elgon National Park, Uganda. Forest Policy and Economics 2015 ;Volume 57. p. -
3. Paudel, Naya S.; Vedeld, Pål Olav; Khatri, Dil B..
Prospects and challenges of tenure and forest governance reform in the context of REDD+ initiatives in Nepal. Forest Policy and Economics 2015 ;Volume 52. p. -
4. Tumusiime, Mwesigye David; Vedeld, Pål Olav.
Can biodiversity conservation benefit local people? Costs and benefits at a strict Protected Area in Uganda. Journal of Sustainable Forestry 2015
5. Zurovec, Ognjen; Vedeld, Pål Olav; Sitaula, Bishal K..
Agricultural Sector of Bosnia and Herzegovina and Climate Change — Challenges and Opportunities. Agriculture 2015 ;Volume 5.(2) p. 245-266
Gives classes in;
EDS 303 Introduction to International Environmental Studies (co-responsible)
EDS 304 Political economy
EDS 348 Environmental politics and governance
EDS 305 Development Studies
EDS 415 Qualitative methods in development research