PhD Economics and Business
PhD Programme 3 years
The PhD programme in Economics and Business at NBMU – School of Economics and Business.
The PhD programme in Economics and Business is located at the School of Economics and Business, Norwegian University of Life Sciences.
"Economics and business" is interpreted in a broad sense to include, inter alia, entrepreneurship, innovation and organizational theory.
The aim of the programme is to qualify candidates for research of international standard within all the department’s subject areas, and for other work that require scientific insight and analytical thinking and skills.
PhD students learn to work in accordance with recognized principles of academic and research ethics.
The PhD programme in Economics and Business shall qualify candidates for research of international standard within all the department’s subject areas, and for other work where there are high demands on scientific insight and analytical thinking. Students must learn to work in accordance with recognised principles of academic and research ethics.
The objective of the PhD education is to give candidates knowledge, skills and expertise in line with the Norwegian qualifications framework.
- has in-depth knowledge in the chosen subject area within economics or business and is at the forefront of knowledge within her/his specific area of research
- has a broad overview of theories and methods within economics or business, and in-depth knowledge about scientific theories and methods within the field of specialization
- has in-depth knowledge about global trends and contexts relevant for her/his field
- has the knowledge to assess and utilize different theories, methods and processes in economics and business research, also from a sustainability perspective
- has the required in-depth knowledge to develop new knowledge, theories and methods in her/his field of specialization within economics or business
- is able to formulate research problems and questions, and to plan and conduct research and academic development work of high international standards in her/his subject area of economics or business
- is able to analyze complex scientific questions and to challenge established knowledge and practice in the field
- is able to develop and conduct research answering practical questions of policy makers and other decision makers
- is able to develop new knowledge within her/his subject area, master relevant social science and statistical methods and assess the utility and limitations of different methods
- is able to handle complexity, create an overview and synthesize scientific information
- is able to perform critical assessments and give constructive criticism on scientific work in her/his field
- is able to solve complex real-world economic and business problems with sustainability as a guiding principle
- is able to conduct the research with professional and ethical integrity, and to identify new relevant ethical issues
- is able to participate and contribute with an economic perspectives in complex interdisciplinary tasks, projects and debates
- is able to disseminate research and development work through recognized national and international channels, and to participate in scientific debates in international forums
- is able to disseminate the research findings to the authorities and public administration, to companies and organizations, and to the general public through contact with the media
- is able to teach students within her/his specialization in economics or business
- is able to place own research in broad academic and societal contexts, with a focus on sustainability
- is able to assess the need for and, if required, stimulate innovation in the field