The courses can be taken at NMBU or other universities, and can be at either the 300- or 400-levels at NMBU, or the equivalent if taken at institutions outside NMBU. It is recommended that at least 30 ECTS are at 400-level (PhD courses). See supplementary PhD regulations.
400-level courses offered by the department include:
- PHI401 Research Ethics and Philosophy of Science I (This - or an equivalent course – is mandatory for PhD students)
- ECN400 Topics in environmental economics I
- ECN401 Topics in environmental economics II
- ECN410 Microeconomic Theory
- ECN450 Development Economics: Methods and Policy Analysis
- ECN472 Climate Economics
- INN410 Intellectual Property Rights
Courses can be taken outside NMBU if they meet the required standards. Previous and current PhD students have taken courses at, inter alia, these institutions:
- Dept. of Economics, University of Oslo
- BI Norwegian Business School, Oslo
- NHH Norwegian School of Economics
- School of Business, Economics and Law, University of Gothenburg, Sweden
Several PhD courses are each year offered through the National Research School in Business Economics and Administration.
PhD students that spend 1-2 semesters at a foreign university take a significant share of the required course credits at that university.