The PhD courses can be taken at NMBU or other universities. The courses can be at either the 300 or 400-levels at NMBU, or the equivalent if taken at institutions outside NMBU. It is recommended that at least 30 ECTS are at 400-level (PhD courses). See supplementary PhD regulations.
400-level courses offered by the School of Economics and Business:
- PHI401 Research Ethics and Philosophy of Science I (This or an equivalent course is mandatory for PhD students)
- ECN400 Topics in Environmental Economics I
- ECN401 Topics in Environmental Economics II
- ECN410 Microeconomic Theory
- ECN450 Development and Global Change
- ECN472 Climate Economics
Courses can be taken outside NMBU if they meet the required standards. Previous and current PhD students have taken courses at, inter alia, these institutions:
- Dept. of Economics, University of Oslo
- BI Norwegian Business School, Oslo
- NHH Norwegian School of Economics
- School of Business, Economics and Law, University of Gothenburg, Sweden
Several PhD courses are each year offered through the National Research School in Business Economics and Administration.
PhD students that spend 1-2 semesters at a foreign university take a significant share of the required course credits at that university.