Visa & Permits



  • Foreign nationals who wish to travel to Norway must, as a rule, have an entry visa. However, there are exceptions to this requirement. The type of visa you require depends on the purpose of your visit. The conditions for obtaining a visa vary depending on the type of visa. A visitor's visa gives you the right to stay for 90 days in the course of a six month period. If the intention is to stay for more than 90 days, you must apply for a resident permit.
  • For stays/work in Norway of up to 3 months, international researchers neither need a residence nor a work permit, but visa requirements still apply.
  • In order to stay/work in Norway for more than 3 months, EEA-nationals must comply with a registration process while non-EEA nationals need a residence permit. Nordic citizens may stay and work in Norway indefinately without a permit.
  • For comprehensive information on visa, work and residence permits please consult the website of the Norwegian Directorate of Immigration (UDI) ( In addition, we recommend the website EURAXESS Norway ( provided by the Norwegian Reseach Council (NRC).

    For the steps you need to undertake upon arrival in Norway, see information on registration with Norwegian authorities.

Applying for visas & permits

General regulations

  • Note: The processing of visa and permits may be very time-consuming, cf. case-processing time ( The application process must therefore be started well in advance of the planned date of arrival in Norway or, where this is possible, immediately upon arrival in Norway. Be sure to carefully complete the appropriate application form and to submit all required documents. This will enhance a correct and time-efficient processing of your application by the involved authorities.
  • Applications for visas and permits must include a formal written invitation from your host department at the Norwegian University of Life Sciences confirming your status as a visiting scholar/short-term employee and specifying the purpose and period of your stay (max. three months; if your stay exceeds three months, you must apply for a residence permit, cf. above).
  • Applications for permits from non-EEA nationals who will work for a Norwegian employer must include the form Offer of Employment ( Your host department at the Norwegian University of Life Sciences will complete these forms and send them to you.
  • If you are bringing family members, it is recommended that all accompanying members, including children, apply for a residence permit at the same time according to the rules on family immigration (

Regulations pertaining to EEA nationals

EEA nationals may stay and work in Norway for up to 3 months without formal registration. If your stay/work period exceeds 3 months, you must register upon arrival. Read more about Registration requirements for EEA nationals (

Regulations pertaining to Non-EEA nationals

  • Rule
    • Also researchers from non-EEA countries who intend to stay/work in Norway for up to 3 months, may do so without formal permission (however, visa requirements must be observed, cf. above).
    • Researchers from non-EEA countries who intend to stay/work in Norway for more than 3 months must submit an application for a residence permit in their country of origin or the country where they have been legally resident for the last six months. The application must be submitted to the nearest Norwegian foreign service mission (embassy, consulate general) ( which will also informs the applicant about the decision. At a growing number of foreign service missions it is possible to submit the application online through the Application Portal Norway (, others still use the traditional application forms ( Where available, online application is strongly recommended as it significantly reduces the processing time.
      Note: Applicants may not enter the country and may not start working before the permit has been granted.
  • Exception
    Non-EEA nationals may apply for a residence permit upon arrival in Norway if they qualify as a skilled worker (, e.g. researchers, and either:
    • have a residence permit lasting three months or more, or
    • have been granted a visa, i.e. a skilled worker visa (, for up to three months, or
    • are entitled to live in Norway for three months without a permit (,i.e. without a visa.
      Applications for a skilled worker permit made upon arrival in Norway must be submitted electronically through the Application Portal Norway (
      Note: Non-EEA nationals who are qualified to apply for a permit upon arrival in Norway and choose to do so, may only start working after the work permit has been granted.
  • Fees
    Non-EEA nationals must pay a handling fee ( for applications.
  • Forms and detailed information
    Please consult the following UDI webpages:

Applying for renewal of permits

Requirements for a permanent residence permit

Foreign employees holding a skilled worker permit (, may apply for a permanent residence permit ( after three years. As a rule, this requires the completion of Norwegian language and social studies ( NMBU offers different types and levels of Norwegian language courses to its international community.

Published 24. October 2013 - 12:46 - Updated 4. November 2019 - 13:07