Course responsible:Nils Petter Kjos
Campus / Online:Taught campus Ås
Limits of class size:If there are less than 5 students, the course will be given according to an alternative schedule/self study.
Nominal workload:250 hrs.
Teaching and exam period:This course starts in Autumn parallel. This course has teaching/evaluation in Autumn parallel.
About this course
The candidate should be able to describe the digestion and intermediary metabolism of energy and nutrients in monogastric animals, as well as the theoretical basis for energy and protein evaluation systems for monogastric animals (pigs and poultry). The candidate should have knowledge to feed ingredients used for these animals and should describe the principles for composing a diet for the animals.
The candidate should be able to evaluate feed ingredients and complete feeds used for domestic animal productions (pigs and poultry), based on physiological, nutritive, quality-related, and resource-related conditions.
The candidate should be able to give advice to feed industry, pig and poultry farmers, and the public in general on energy and nutritional contents in feed ingredients and feeds. The candidate should be able to advice in composing a feed for pigs or poultry.
- The course includes lectures, group work/exercises as well as calculations on feed evaluation and optimisation of diets for pigs and poultry.
- KJM100, HFX201, HFE200, HFE205, HFX253.
- KJM110, KJB200.
- Written examination 3 hrs.
- The external examiner will be used actively in the planning of the course, the practical exercises and the examination questions. The external examiner will individually assess the examination answers.
- Exercises. The exercises will deal with calculation of digestibility/nutritive balance studies with monogastrics (roosters, mink or pigs), calculations on energy and protein value of compound feeds and feedstuffs for monogastrics, and optimising of diets for monogastrics.
- The course includes 50 hours of lectures and 20 hours of group work.
- Letter grades
- Special requirements in Science