Course responsible:Hanne Lerche Raadal
Campus / Online:Taught campus Ås
Nominal workload:125 hours
Teaching and exam period:This course starts in the autumn parallel. This course has teaching/evaluation in autumn parallel.
About this course
The students will achieve detailed knowledge about:
- Methodologies and models for waste logistics and how to evaluate net GHG emissions from different waste management solutions.
- Waste policies, management of waste resources in a circular economy and sustainable use of waste resources.
- How recycled materials influence environmental and resource efficiency and effectiveness of new products and which technical standards that must be fulfilled to use recycled materials in different types of products.
- Waste statistics as a tool to get an overview of waste resources in society.
Through the lectures and practical training sessions, the students will be able to:
- Calculate environmental and resource efficiency and effectiveness, as well as cost-benefit analyses of different solutions, and the importance of transport in waste systems.
- Assess and describe the different actors’ roles in the waste management systems, including the municipalities and Extended Producer Responsibility (EPR) companies.
Students should be able to communicate how the waste sector is organised, the data and basis for waste statistics, various treatment solutions for waste, as well as and quality requirements related to recycled material. The course will provide students with a good background for getting a job in municipalities, waste companies, private waste companies as well as national authorities and consulting companies
- Lectures, exercises and seminars.
- Use of Canvas
- MATH100, FORNY100, FORNY200, or courses with similar content.
- Written examination (3 hours).
- An external examiner will judge a random sample of written exams.
- 30 hours lectures and 30 hours seminars/exercises.
- 5 credits overlap with FORN350 (previous version).
- Letter grades
- Minimum requirements for entrance to higher education in Norway (generell studiekompetanse).