Course responsible:Nina Hammervoll, Inga Kristine Ulsrud Myren
Teaching and exam period:Spring semester
About this course
- know the responsibilities of the front desk
- be able to assist veterinarians during examination and treatment of patients, before and after operations
- be able to assist in the treatment of minor illnesses and trauma.
- to take blood samples and perform simple laboratory tasks, nurse and care for in-patients
- establish and observe good hygiene in the clinic-instruct/guide custumers with regard to normal feeding practices and behavior in dogs and cats
- be able to handle horses and to know about their care and feeding
- be able to make x-ray images of small animals and to be familiar with health and safety regulations concerning radiation
- Compulsory clinical practice
- Written submissions:
- Practical skills lists
- Self reflection through colloquium
Any changes in submissions will be described in Canvas.
- Students must have participated in a safety course for stable practice (compulsory tuition in the block before the rotations begins).
Practice periods are to be regarded as exams due to the rules. Unapproved absence and misbehaviour is not allowed in the clinic.
It is the resonsibility of the student to contact the coordinator of clinical practice early enough that arrangements may be made for the student to make up for lost work before the beginning of term.
Compulsory classes and prerequisites:
Clinical practice is compulsory and 100% attendance is required to have the practice approved. Unapproved absence and misbehaviour is not allowed in the clinic.
Students have three days of self attested sick leave at their disposal, which may also be used for funerals in the immediate family. However, a period of 14 days' attendance is required between each day of leave. Any absence beyond these three days must be attested by a physician and a medical certificate handed in to the course coordinator. If it exeeds 20% per rotation, or in the subject in total, this absence must be made up for later. To what degree is up to the discretion of the those in charge of the block. Students must make up for all unapproved absence in its entirety. No dispensation is given for medical reasons. All absence must be reported to the clinic in question, or, when this is not possible, to the person in charge of organizing the clinical practice. See also the rules of the regulation. Documentation must be submitted within 5 days.
All written submissions of the course are mandatory and must be approved to pass. Deadlines for submissions are posted on Canvas.
The submissions consist of written skills lists for documentation of acquired skills throughout the period of practice, journals and evaluation forms. There are also some submissions related to the individual rotation.
Workwear are borrowed from the clinics. Detailed information about each rotation/clinic department is to be found on Canvas. Students are expected to follow information and routines provided by the clinics.
Som clinical equipment must be proveded by the student:
- Name tag (full name + "dyrepleierstudent")
- Notebook and pen (pocket size)
- Nurse watch with second hand
- Scissors (blunt)
- Comfortable shoes (small animals)
- Rectal thermometer
- DPLPRA08 10 SP
- Passed / Not Passed