VET410 Introduction to biostatistics
Search for other courses here
Select other year
Showing course contents for the educational year 2020 - 2021 .
Course responsible: Eystein Skjerve
Teachers: Preben Boysen
ECTS credits: 3
Faculty: Faculty of Veterinary Medicine
Teaching language: EN
Teaching exam periods:
Week 12 2021
Course frequency: Yearly
First time: Study year 2017-2018
The course is open to PhD students, researcher students and researchers (if space) at the NMBU veterinary Faculty. Other researchers / PhD students can apply for admission by contacting the research advisor at Campus Adamstuen. Students at the NMBU Veterinary Medicine will be given priority. Registration through StudentWeb.
The course is taught over 1 week with lectures, group work and assignments. More information about the course, including the timetable, is available in Canvas after you have enrolled in the course via StudentWeb. The course forms the basis for enrollment in the courses VET411, VET414 and VET412. The course replaces the previous course VET410 (10ECTS).
The following topics will be presented durng the course:
- Probability theory
- Stochastic variables and probability distributions
- Important distribution in biomedical research
- Estimation and requirements for estimators
- Interval Estimation
- Formulation of hypotheses
- Hypothesis testing for continuous variables (parametric and non-parametric)
- Analysis of tables
Throughout the course, the student is expected to achieve the following skills / knowledge:
- Be familiar central probability distributions (normal distribution, binomial and poisson distribution)
- Understand the main principles behind estimation theory and statistical hypothesis testing, including parametric and non-parametric models for continuous variables and analyses of tables
- Be able to describe statistical patterns using tables and graphical techniques in spreadsheets and statistics programs.
- Be able to calculate a confidence interval and conduct a hypothesis test in a given situation.
The course consists of a mixture of lectures, group discussions and assignments. In exercises and assignments specific datasets from the textbook and other datasets are used. Exercises and assignments are solved using spreadsheets (Excel) and recommended software (JMP).
Teachers are available throughout the course
The basic syllabus is selected chapters (1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 9, 12, 12) in the book Statistics for Veterinary and Animal Science, available as the printed version (paperback) or through Kindle. Other literature will be recommended on the course.
The course is based on previous teaching in statistics and epidemiology in the veterinary program.
Participation in the course activities is mandatory. A minimum attendance of 75% is required to pass.
The course will be evaluated through a course assignment to be submitted after the course
Registration deadline: 03.02.2021
Examination details: Continuous exam: Passed / Failed