VET400 Introduction to biomedical research
Showing course contents for the educational year 2014 - 2015 .
Course responsible: Andrew Michael Janczak
ECTS credits: 5
Faculty: Faculty of Veterinary Medicine and Biosciences
Teaching language: EN
Teaching exam periods:
The course takes place March 9-20.Lectures and discussions the first week, work on assignments and presentations the second week
Additional information about the course will take place is available through https://fronter.com/nmbu/fronter after signing up for the course through https://www.studweb.no/as/WebObjects/studentweb2?inst=NMBUStudentWeb.
Course frequency: Spring, fall
First time: Study year 2012-2013
The course gives an introduction to biomedical research.The following topics are presented during the course:
- The story of biomedical research with a focus on evolution biology
- The basics of ethics in biomedical science
- Animal experimentation and ethics
- Scientific integrity and research ethics; the Vancouver declaration
- Philosophy of science, research theories and hypotheses
- Study aims and objectives
- Causal inference in biomedical science
Through the course the students are expected to reach the following platforms:
- Be familiar with the basics of research ethics and scientific integrity and be able to discuss this within own research plan.
- Know the Vancouver declaration and its implications for biomedical publications
- Be able to present a distinct aim and objective of the planned studies
- Be familiar with funfaments in philosophy of science
- Be able to discuss possible causal patterns in own research plan
- Present own project and discuss this within the framework of the topics covered during the course
The course is a mix of lectures, discussions, and student presentations.
The syllabus consists mainly of presentations and web-links given during the course. Some essential books of reference will be suggested as recommended reading during the course
Attendance is compulsory. An attendance record of at least 75% is required to pass the course.
The student must be able to present in an adequate way and submit 3 assignments to be evaluated by a teacher and another student.
The final assignments have to be submitted the day before the last day of course
Open to PhD students at campus Adamstuen. Admission through StudentWeb. If you belong to NMBU and wish to participate in this course, please contact the administrative contact person.
Examination details: Introduction to biomedical research: Bestått / Ikke bestått