VET350B Husbandry practice
There may be changes to the course due to to corona restrictions. See Canvas and StudentWeb for info.
Showing course contents for the educational year 2021 - 2022 .
Course responsible: Hallgeir Flø
Teachers: Nicole Frost Nyquist, Marit Stormoen, Ane Christine Wammer Nødtvedt
ECTS credits: 0
Faculty: Faculty of Veterinary Medicine
Teaching language: NO
Teaching exam periods:
Course frequency: Yearly
First time: 2022V
The main goal with the practice is to give the student insight in normal husbandry practice. As of the European Coordination Committee for Veterinary Training (ECCVT) «Day One Competences»* the main focus should be on the following:
• Describe the basic prinsiples for holding and feeding the actual species. and to describe the flow of animals in the herd and how the diferent groups of animals are treated
• Drescribe what kind of measures to prevent sickness and promote good healt the herd has installed, for example vaxination, parasittic treatment, biosecurity/zones
• Mention systemes for registration of diseases/birth/death/weight gain/yield in the herd.
• Handling the animals at the daily work and to do regular measures for the actual species, for example miking, feeding, branding, lice-count and so on
• Recognice normal behaviour and reaction for the species (cow/goat/pig/fish/poultry)
• Consider the connection between enviroment, feeding, how the animals are kept, handling and welfare/health in the herd
• Use the herds routines for biosecurity in practice
• Consider the producers motivation and needs in connection to the farm
• Describe what advicers the producer have access to, and are using
Participate actively with the actual species at the farm were they work
Be in active dialog with the owner and/or those who work at the farm to get as much knowledge as possible
4 weeks of husbandry practice with at least 37,5 hours work per week in the summer between 1st and 2nd year of study
A maximum of 1 day approved absence allowed-all absence exceeding this must be re-taken on students' initiative.
After the practice, a written essay has to be delivered at Canvas for peer-evaluation.
In the beginning of the 2nd year of study, there will be half a day with tasks to be solved in groups.
The grades are pass/fail
4 weeks with at least 37,5 hours work
Examination details: :