SDG200 Sustainable Food Production Systems
Showing course contents for the educational year 2021 - 2022 .
Course responsible: Hanne Fjerdingby Olsen
Teachers: Bente Aspeholen Åby, Anne Kjersti Uhlen
ECTS credits: 5
Faculty: Faculty of Biosciences
Teaching language: NO
Teaching exam periods:
Course frequency: Annually.
First time: Study year 2020-2021
The course handles topics regarding food production from a system perspective and how food systems affect aspects of sustainability. Different perspectives of sustainability are focussed and the aspects of the sustainability concept are studied. The relevant impact categories are gone through, as for instance greenhouse gas emissions, land use, eutrophication and biodiversity. Different calculation methods for documentation of sustainability are introduced. The course will also focus on the contrasts/antagonism between the sustainable development goals and which consequences this potentially have for the food system.
- Know what a food system is and it’s complexity
- Are able to describe the dimensions included in sustainability and can give good examples of impact categories related to food systems
- Know methods for documentation of sustainability in the three dimensions and with different system perspectives (e.g. local, national, global)
- Are able to give examples of food systems and how the different parts of a system affect each other
- Can enlighten problems regarding sustainable food production systems in a national and global context
- Are able to make reasonable reflections of the future food production
- Have a basic knowledge of the complexity of food production systems
- Are able to discuss relevant problems from established knowledge
- Know of innovative and holistic solutions for sustainable food production
Lectures, group activities.
Updated literature within research field. Syllabus will be given on Canvas. No text book.
HFX131 or PJH102, HFX133
Written exam 3 hours in the examination period, A-F.
Type of course:
24 hours of lectures (12 double lectures).
Allowed examination aids: C3 Alle typer kalkulatorer, alle andre hjelpemidler - inkludert digitale
Examination details: Written exam: Letter grades