PPVE400 Master and phd supervision
Showing course contents for the educational year 2022 - 2023 .
Course responsible: Sigrid Marie Gjøtterud
Teachers: Knut Omholt
ECTS credits: 5
Faculty: Faculty of Science and Technology
Teaching language: EN, NO
Limits of class size:
Teaching exam periods:
Teaching in spring parallel and assessment in June block
Course frequency: Annual
First time: Study year 2019-2020
Academic emplyees who either supervise master's and / or PhD students
Employees who are to apply for promotion to professor or will apply for merit on the basis of teaching
Academic employees with at least 25% position at NMBU
The study will provide insight into pedagogical supervising theories, basic principles and models related to master's and PhD supervision. The participants also gain practical experience with the use of the guidance principles and models. The relational aspects of supervision are emphasized. Because many master's and PhD students experience challenging periods in their studies, we also emphasize the difficult supervision conversation. Intercultural guidance is another topic that is highlighted. Furthermore, ethical perspectives on guidance related to the relationship, process and product are central. The program will also increase awareness of how framework conditions for supervision of master's and PhD students (at NMBU) affect supervision.
- Can provide examples of and discuss key topics, theories, issues, processes, tools and methods related to the supervision of master's and PHD students
- Can provide examples of research and development work in the field of guidance in higher education
- can assess and use relevant strategies and methods for supervision of master's and PhD students that promote ethical awareness, critical thinking, creativity and independence
- can update their knowledge within the subject area
- can analyze relevant guidance ethical issues
- can communicate about and discuss supervision issues with colleagues and students
- can contribute to innovation in the organization and implementation of master's and PHD supervision at its own faculty and at the university
Lectures, sharing experiences, discussions, colleague supervision and reflective essay.
Peer guidance and feedback on assignments.
Reference list will be distributed prior to course start and will be made available in Canvas.
Some guidance experience, preferably at masters and/or PhD level.
Experience with supervision of master's and / or PhD students is an advantage. It is also an advantage to have completed the basic course in university pedagogy.
Preparation: paper about supervising experience, submitted before course start..Between gatherings: Planning, conducting and reflection about a supervision session, submitted before second gathering.Minimum 75% attendance in the teaching.
Essay 3500 - 4000 words.
Essay is to be submitted 3 week after the last gathering
Grade: Pass/not pass
The course hours are set at 25 hours at meetings, 25 hours are set for preparation, planning, implementation and reflection on supervision of master's and / or PhD students. 75 hours are set aside for reading course literature, management documents, and writing an essay. A total of 125h.
The course is primarily for employees at NMBU and has registration deadlines that do not necessarily follow the academic calendar.
Reduction of credits:
Type of course:
2 sessions of 2 days at 09.00 - 15.00 in week 6 and week 18 in 2023
External examiner approves assignment text and censors all answers.
Examination details: Assignment: Passed / Not Passed