PPFD301 Science and Mathematics Education
Showing course contents for the educational year 2017 - 2018 .
Course responsible: Gerd Eli Johansen
Teachers: Birgitte Bjønness, Edvin Østergaard, Solveig Strangstadstuen, Bente Klevenberg, Astrid Tonette Sinnes, Margrethe Naalsund, Nina Elisabeth Arnesen
ECTS credits: 25
Faculty: Faculty of Science and Technology
Teaching language: NO
Teaching exam periods:
This course starts in the August block. This course has teaching/evaluation in the August block, the Autumn parallel, the January block, the Spring parallel, the June block.
Course frequency: Annually
First time: Study year 2007-2008
Only for students enrolled in LUR.
Planning, implementing and assessing science and mathematics teaching and learning based on the curriculum, principles for-, and theories of, teaching and learning. Nature of science and mathematics. Phenomena based teaching. Inquiry-based learning. Cooperative learning. Informal and formal assessments. Science and mathematics education for vocational students.
- has highly specialized knowledge in science and mathematics education for level 8-13.
- has broad understanding of the school's mandate, the values in the education and the curriculum.
- has highly specialized knowledge in current legal issues and the ability to refresh their knowledge about these issues in the teacher profession.
- has broad knowledge about learning strategies, arenas for learning and working methods characteristic for science and mathematics education.
- can plan, implement and assess teaching applying the curriculum, research- and experience-based knowledge.
- can facilitate interdisciplinary learning processes in complex issues.
- can facilitate teaching processes which lead to good subject understanding and social learning processes.
- can identify and work systematically with basic competencies.
- can use varied working methods, differentiate and adopt learning processes and create a motivating and including learning environment.
- can describe levels of competency, asses and document students' learning, give feedback which promote learning and support the students' own ability to reflect on learning.
- can critically discuss the role of the subject in society and facilitate the use of socioscientific issues in the classroom.
- can independently further develop own competency and support the development of both colleagues and the school organization as a whole.
- can critically reflect on subject issues, as well as political and value-based questions, especially related to education for sustainable development.
- can communicate issues in science and mathematical education on an advanced level.
- can build relations to students, colleagues and parents, and cooperate with other persons relevant for the school organization.
The course is based on practical training and student collaboration, combined with reflections on practice and theory.
The students will be supervised during the compulsory activities. Student groups will be established.
An overview of course literature is distributed upon course start.
The course is compulsory for students of the LUR programme and is offered in the 7th and 8th semester. In order to attend this course the students also must have attended PPXP100-LUR and attend the courses PPRA301-LUR and PPPE301-LUR, in addition to the compulsory subjects in natural science and mathematics.
One written or oral assignment in science and mathematics education. A written report from an interview with a student. Saftety course.
Detailed information on the organisation of the mandatory activities appears in learning managment system.
All required activities must be approved in order to take the exam.
Rated workload is30 hours per credit. The work consists of gatherings, practical training and work with compulsory activities outside gatherings.
Only for students enrolled in LUR.
Reduction of credits:
If PPFD300 is included in LUR, - 5 credits.
Type of course:
The course will be offered through gatherings throughout the study year.
An external examiner approves the assessment routines of the course and the examination questions. The external examiner assesses the oral examination.
Examination details: Oral exam: A - E / Ikke bestått