PPFD300 Science and Mathematics Education
Check for course changes due to the coronavirus outbreak on Canvas and StudentWeb.
Showing course contents for the educational year starting in 2020 .
Course responsible: Hanne Alsvik Øygarden
Teachers: Edvin Østergaard, Gerd Eli Johansen, Hans Erik Lefdal, Birgitte Bjønness, Edvin Østergaard, Solveig Strangstadstuen, Astrid Tonette Sinnes, Margrethe Naalsund, Nina Elisabeth Arnesen, Birgitte Bjønness
ECTS credits: 30
Faculty: Faculty of Science and Technology
Teaching language: NO
Teaching exam periods:
This course starts in August block. This course has teaching/evaluation in August block, Autumn parallel, January block, Spring parallel, June block.
Course frequency: Annually
First time: 2006H
Teaching and learning for sustainable development. Planning, implementing and assessing science and mathematics teaching and learning based on the curriculum, principles for and theories of teaching and learning. Nature of science and mathematics. Phenomenon-based science teaching and inquiry-based learning. Cooperative learning. Informal and formal assessments. Science education for vocational students.
- has highly specialized knowledge in science and mathematics education for level 8-13.
- has broad understanding of the school's mandate, the values in the education and the curriculum.
- has broad knowledge about learning strategies, arenas for learning and working methods characteristic for science and mathematics education
- has knowledge about interdisciplinary cllaboration and how to support learning in the three interdisciplinary issues that are expressed in the curriculum
- has knowledge about the use of science and mathematics subjects in the professions
- can plan, implement and assess teaching applying the curriculum, research- and experience-based knowledge.
- can facilitate interdisciplinary learning processes in complex issues.
- can facilitate teaching processes which lead to good subject understanding and social learning processes.
- can identify and work systematically with basic competencies.
- can use varied working methods, differentiate and adopt learning processes and create a motivating and including learning environment.
- can describe levels of competency, asses and document students' learning, give feedback which promote learning and support the students' own ability to reflect on learning.
- can critically discuss the role of the subject in society and facilitate the use of socioscientific issues in the classroom.
- can independently further develop own competency and support the development of both colleagues and the school organization as a whole.
- can critically reflect on subject issues, as well as political and value-based questions, especially related to education for sustainable development
- can facilitate learning processes that promote students' action competencies toward sustainable development
- can communicate issues in science and mathematical education on an advanced level.
- can build relations to students, colleagues and parents, and cooperate with other persons relevant for the school organization.
The course is comprised of different teaching forms and are in close relation to the pratical part of the study. Parts of the course is directly tied to specific subjects while others parts are more general.
The students will be supervised during the compulsory activities. Student groups for guidance are established.
An overview of course literature is available in Canvas.
The course is for teacher students who have competencies in programe subjects in science (life sciences, biology, physics, geology/geosciences, chemistry and/or IT) and mathematics.
Two written assignments in science and mathematics education
Conversation with student
Detailed information on the organisation of the mandatory activities appears in learning managment system.
All required activities must be approved in order to take the exam.
Oral examination, individually.
Rated workload is 30 hours per credit. The work consists of gatherings and work with compulsory activities in and outside the gatherings.
Science and mathematics education
Type of course:
The course consists of 6 gatherings of 5 days over two semesters.
External examiner approves the examination scheme and assesses the oral examination.
Examination details: Oral exam: A - E / F